Conversion from outbuilding to Annexe

They will also say that your ground floor doesn't have a step

They will also say that if your medical condition is as bad as you say why did you buy a house which is clearly unsuitable for your needs

Main building ground floor has step.
I can’t say House is not suitable but it’s all about convenience & comfort. Pls note that I will still use other facilities in main building like Living Hall, parking, big kitchen etc. whenever I need/want.

Sponsored Links
Quite confusing. My builder just came and saw the outbuilding. He says as structure/building is already standing, I just need permission(he insists on using “notification”) for “Change of use” but no need for permission to install kitchen/toilet/shower. He says these planning guys replying emails don’t know law :) and they just want money . What’s the truth? I will reply planning officer’s email again & ask if only “change of use” is enough.

Is your builder proficient in both Planning and Building Regulation rules and policies that he’s willing to put something in writing to you as to what approvals you do and do not need incase there are any repercussions later on?

Also bear in mind Planning would not normally comment on the Building Regulation implications and vice versa.

Or could the OP demolish the existing outbuilding and re-build it in accordance to BR’s and claim exemption that way!?! We are only talking about saving around £500.00 so not the end of the world but every little helps.
There's no exemption from B Reg fees for new build either I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
It begs the question, why purchase a property which is unsuitable for ones needs.

I asked the same question because I was suspicious about the ops true motives

It seems my suspicions are correct as the op has now admitted that he's getting married and has family coming over to stay with him for months it seems , so clearly he's converting the outbuilding into a self contained flat so he can live in it and his family will live in the house hence why he will still use the house from time to time

I’m single & planning to get married from abroad, my wife & my family needs to visit my wife & me. They need to stay for months with us. It will provide more space also if I hv Annexe. I’m thinking to provide both my family guest + my health (health texts I mentioned in first post). Pls suggest me best way.
Thanks

It begs the question, why purchase a property which is unsuitable for ones needs.
My budget cudnt afford to buy very big house. I was also not aware that outbuilding can not be used for sleeping. I was excited & bought the house when I saw spacious outbuilding & adjacent garden.

I thought it will fulfill my needs and outbuilding will be best for me and my medical needs while I can accommodate my in-laws & parents/guests in main building.

Even in absence of guest’s needs, I will surely love to live in Annexe because of connectivity to garden & I can easily move without struggle.

Will it be negative if I mention above two reasons - health needs + guests accommodation in planning application? Or shud I mention only one reason? If so, which one?

Quite confusing. My builder just came and saw the outbuilding. He says as structure/building is already standing, I just need permission(he insists on using “notification”) for “Change of use” but no need for permission to install kitchen/toilet/shower. He says these planning guys replying emails don’t know law :) and they just want money . What’s the truth? I will reply planning officer’s email again & ask if only “change of use” is enough.
What you are proposing needs both B Regs and Planning.
Regardless of any change of use etc the creation of ANY new kitchen or bathroom even in the existing dwelling requires B Regs, your builder knows this, I would be having serious doubts as to his competency.

What you are proposing needs both B Regs and Planning.
Regardless of any change of use etc the creation of ANY new kitchen or bathroom even in the existing dwelling requires B Regs, your builder knows this, I would be having serious doubts as to his competency.
He said Building Reg is required but not planning permission. Anyway I don’t trust these builders honestly. They just want job sometimes.
He called me today & said he can arrange a guy working in council, who he knows, he can visit the site & give written approval. Not sure how reliable it is. sometimes, I think I shud postpone this idea at least for 1 year if there will be difficulty in getting planning permission as I just bought the house. Pls advise me best way

If add only toilet/shower WITHOUT kitchen, will I still need planning permission & building reg?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back