Use of a Granny Annex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 Years ago I built a granny annex on the side of my property for my mother to live in. This involved a single storey extension, the conversion of an existing garage with an extension above to create a self contained annex. The Annex has a link door to the original house but also has it's own front and back door.

I am going away as I have a business abroad and wont be here most of the time for the next 18months. My question would be; can i leave my mum in the annex and rent my house out for income whilst i'm not at home?

The green planning paper when the Annex was approved states the Annex is to be ancillary to the main house and the annex has been banded for council tax which currently is £0 as my mum is over 65 and i live next door. I understand that she will need to pay council tax if there is no relative living in the main house but is this possible or will the council simply not allow it and force a family member of whoever is in the annex to be in the main house?

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Move your mum into your house and rent her flat to a postgraduate student?

Postgrads are (generally) grown ups and don't pay council tax

But your rental income will be lower

Sponsored Links
If it's ancillary why have you had it rated separately for Council Tax? Doesn't make sense.

If it's ancillary why have you had it rated separately for Council Tax? Doesn't make sense.
Because those are the rules around areas of separate living accommodation, where someone can live independently of the main house. Then various discounts can be applied, depending on who lives there and the rental status of the accommodation.

You would have to contact the council see if the discounts still apply if you are not resident in the main property. You may find that your Mum may be entitled to CT discounts or benefits anyway particularly if she is on a low income.
You will have to read your planning decision to see if there is any conditions imposed on who can occupy the annexe.
If you have a mortgage you will also have to get permission to let from your lender, most have restrictions on timescales, usually 12 months, but you may be able to stretch that with your Mum resident in the annexe as it will be clear to them that in all probability you intend to return and this isn't just a financial arrangement that should be funded by a buy to let mortgage. Whether you have the ability to service your mortgage independently of the rental income may also have a bearing.
You will probably get a more definitive answer here http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/ or here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ in the house buying, renting and selling section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back