Annexe consumer unit - must it be in annexe?

.... but as yet not even sure if you are a tenant or lodger, and with a narrow boat it would seem more likely you are classed as a lodger. So all the rules for a tenant don't apply.
That's why I asked the question, and the OP indicated that he 'thinks' he has a Tenancy Agreement.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It seems there is no EICR in place.
Lawyers have scheduled one for next week. They say it will take 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to complete. Seems a long time for accommodation so small (size of single car garage)?
Regards Paul

It seems there is no EICR in place. Lawyers have scheduled one for next week.
Fair enough. That's a step in the right direction.
They say it will take 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to complete. Seems a long time for accommodation so small (size of single car garage)?
Maybe, but it's better than the more common problem - of an EICR being undertaken in far too little time than it would take to do it properly.

We look forward to hearing of the outcome. However, if there is not EICR, where on earth did the suggestion that the CU had to be used come from?

Kind Regards, John

It seems there is no EICR in place.
Lawyers have scheduled one for next week. They say it will take 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to complete. Seems a long time for accommodation so small (size of single car garage)?
Regards Paul

sounds about right to me.

better that than 45 minutes sitting outside in their van

Sponsored Links
post #1 of this thread
Sure, that's where this 'suggestion' was first stated - but the question is 'where did it come from?' I suspect that I'm not the only person to have thought it had appeared as a C2 on an EICR but, if there is no EICR, that clearly can't be the case.

Kind Regards, John

Sure, that's where this 'suggestion' was first stated - but the question is 'where did it come from?' I suspect that I'm not the only person to have thought it had appeared as a C2 on an EICR but, if there is no EICR, that clearly can't be the case.

Kind Regards, John

hence some of my fairly direct questions that went unanswered ….

It would seem that EICR was the first person to ask the pertinent question ("Who is telling you this?") in post #12.

post #37 makes for an interesting read ….

I am 99.999% sure we are not being told the whole story

post #37 makes for an interesting read ….
Yes, we know the OP's view of what is going on, and why (and in whose interests) He may well be right. However ,that still does not help us to know where the suggestion that the CU needs moving came from(if not an EICR).
I am 99.999% sure we are not being told the whole story
You may, of course, be right, but I'm not really sure what other significant and pertinent things we may not be being told about.

Hi all
Blimey this is getting intense... Let me try to straighten up any misunderstandings. Firstly any economy of facts is down to (a) Me not being a trades person and (b) my not wanting to be identified from this post - however unlikely.
To point (a) I will add that my background is agriculture, road haulage, steel fabrication, CAD draughting of architectural stelwork (basic stuff, I'm not techy - too old...) and for the last 23 years I have operated within the marine industry running a sailing school (3 yachts on the Hamble and one in Majorca at our peak (no narrowboat though). Just the one 40' yacht now. The last three years have been rough with the economy on its arse plus botched heart surgery in 2020 and subsequent complications since.

Tenancy. I do have a tenency, but I have lost the document. I have asked for a replacement. I don't however know where my deposit is - remember the house was sold with me as an 'optional extra'.

The situation with the annexe is that the lawyers managing the landlords affairs have a seven figure sum of money on deposit with them and show signs of sticky finger trouble - always looking for something to invoice for - like engaging and managing trades people. The landlord is in his late twenties, his money has to last him for several decades which it won't if the lawyers keep dipping into it.

Finally the issue of moving the CU. This came out of a couple of inspections by a person from the local estate agents. She took notes and photographs on two separate occasions. These recce operations resulted in the lawyers wanting to move the CU, remodel the kitchen, repaint the whole annexe and anything else they can think of probably.

The above inspections did not include an electrical inspection though people did come around to cost the CU moving aspect of the gravy train.

My position is that I don't want to be the 'useful idiot' to crooked lawyers ripping off a vulnerable young man. I don't want trades people in my home, I am unwell and frequently spend all day resting. Annexe is size of a one car garage. I have lots of medication stored there, some of it controlled substances with a street value. I have repeatedly made it clear that I have complained about nothing and asked for nothing and would like to be left alone. I am happy to enable compliance inspections but that is it. They of course just want to serve invoices for everything and anything they do.

I think it stinks. I am being bullied so a brain injured lad can be stolen from in order to enrich lawyers. Wouldn't that brass you off?
Paul

Paul,
I would imagine there must be somebody in this day and age that you could take your concerns too, I`m not sure who but some of the others might be able to offer suggestions. Citizens Advice might be a start, I don`t know.

I think you have given a little too much info that might make it easy for someone to narrow it down if they happen to know you already . Less specific and more general terms might be the best edit of your post above.

Wish you well.

Fwiw if I was asked to inspect the electrical installation of said annex, I would give the cu location a C2 on the basis it’s not accessible.

This is in keeping with the electrical regulations

Having read all of the thread, I'm struggling to see how a living space the size of a single garage can be fit for human habitation?

You need a proper kitchen space and some kind of bathrooms to, plus space to lay out a bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back