planning on granny annexe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I converted my old garage in to living space for my sister to live in. she has now moved out. now I have a livable space with building regs approval that is empty.

I would like to rent it out but i'm not sure if i need to get a planning 'change of use'

the annexe is detached at the rear of my house

any suggestions would be great

Sponsored Links
I converted my old garage in to living space for my sister to live in ..... she has now moved out ..... I would like to rent it out

LOL, as you do :rolleyes:
There are more rented out granny flats, than flats with grannies in them

You need to check the planning permission and any conditions.

However, this type of outbuilding conversion has to be incidental and for the purposes of the main house - ie used by a family member or employee associated with the house - servant , gamekeeper etc

If rented out, then the outbuilding becomes a separate dwelling capable of independent use and occupation by someone who is not connected with the main house. In which it would be contrary to the planning permission and be unlawful.

Do it on the sly, and it will affect your insurance if something happens, and can cause you problems if you get a wise tenant

I have just been considering the possibilities of doing something similar, bricking up a conecting doorway with the main house, installing seperate services and selling off the attached annexe as a seperate studio appartment.

Preliminary informal discussions with our local planning office revealed they had no objections in principle, but they would require a full planning application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back