kitchen in Annex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have received planning permission for a side extension where we intend our elderly relative to live. The planning dep were not keen on a kitchen in the extension so we did not include it. Our relative does want a kitchen though so I wondered if we could build it in anyway or will that invalidate the planning permission? Should we install it later after the build? I think the planning dep worry that people will try to sell their annex as a separate property or something.

Sponsored Links
Planning cannot control one installation of a Kitchen but they can control the use of the extension. In some instances, Planning would include a condition that the extension cannot be used as separate living accommodation but ancillary to the house, which the extension/annexe would be. If Planning or Building Regulations had concerns, just say it's going to be a Utility.

Planning are clear that it's a "granny flat" but are keen that all food should be prepared in the main house. The plans already contain a bedroom and bathroom.

I've never come across that before. It's not something they can control either. Anyway, there's no harm in having a Utility that is installed with food and drink preparation areas... if they were getting funny about the Kitchen name.

Sponsored Links
Could I get away with calling it a utility room if there is a gas hob there though?
BTW would building control be concerned with whether we have a kitchen or not i.e. do they communicate with planning about this stuff?

Sometimes Building control liaise with Planning but not always. Building Control would only check the drainage and ventilation is sufficient. They wouldn't care what you called or used the area for.

Planning ..... are keen that all food should be prepared in the main house.

The aim of the original Town and Country Planning Act, 1947 was to control development in the most efficient way and ensure the country's proper industrial and social advancement.

And here we have planning officers concerned about where in the house someone prepares food.

I wondered in a previous thread if we might someday require planning permission to go to the toilet; clearly that day may be sooner than we think.

@OP; stop faffing about. Is the council's enforcement officer going to come round every day to check that your elderley relative is not secretly warming up a Pot Noodle in the bedroom?????

Stand your ground - put a sink and cooker in - cooks of the word unite - you have nothing to loose but your chains. :rolleyes:

They have the power to reclassify the annex as a separate dwelling and charge council tax on it.

They have the power to reclassify the annex as a separate dwelling and charge council tax on it.

OK; What if you just built one large side extension as a large room. Then when it's signed off you partition part of it and put in cupboards, a fridge, worktop and cooker. Who's to know??

Yes I agree that is what is done hundreds or thousands of times all over the country in situations like this. I was just wondering about the best way to approach it......blatantly or surreptitiously.....furtively....

Yes I agree that is what is done hundreds or thousands of times all over the country in situations like this. I was just wondering about the best way to approach it......blatantly or surreptitiously.....furtively....

I'm not sure it's case of doing anything surreptitiously - putting a kitchen sink and cooker in your bedroom or living room doesn't make that part of the house into a separate dwelling.

Agreed that the council don't want it as a separate dwelling; but when cases like this come to court, the law takes a robust view and a court would be highly unlikely to find that you had created a separate dwelling. And the council knows this.

But why rock the boat? - just get the stuff installed, keep quiet, and forget about it.

Would you install the kitchen with the build or wait until the extension had been signed off?

Would you install the kitchen with the build or wait until the extension had been signed off?

Personally I'd do it with the build as it will be cheaper, but that's only an opinion; who knows whether or not your inspector would mention it to his colleagues in Planning?

It's too late now, but this is where private inspectors come in handy. A private inspector would sign it off and wouldn't give a hoot about what you put in there, as long as you paid him his fee.

I haven't submitted my plans to building control yet.
Do approved inspectors cost more than the council service?

I haven't submitted my plans to building control yet.
Do approved inspectors cost more than the council service?

For small jobs, possibly. But if it was a few ££ more, you should still be better off in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back