Connecting new MDPE water supply pipe issues at both ends

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being quoted £700+ to have my water leak rectified, I decided to do the job myself.

Have got as far as laying the pipe, the requisite 750mm min deep and covered by 10mm of sand all round, but now comes the connecting at both ends bit.

I am not sure whether the supply pipe is steel/iron or lead (suspect not the latter).

The fitting at the pavement is best described as plastic (approx 4" long, c.50mm diameter - in 3 sections - white couplings at each end with black centre sleeve (of slightly smaller diameter) - have a photo to email if need be.

Before I remove the existing metal supply pipe (which looks smaller in diameter than my MDPE pipe), I wish to know how I go about attaching my 25mm MDPE at the road end – am I likely to be able to just use the existing plastic fitting, or am I likely to need an adaptor? Is the existing pipe likely to be threaded to the fitting?

How important is a tracer wire? I’ve backfilled some of the trench before learning about this. Do the water companies have the power to insist on this being fitted? My company seems pretty lax and disorganised in general.

What about fitting the MDPE at my stopcock end? I have galvanised steel or iron from stopcock to cold water tank in loft. Assume I can cut through this pipework to install new stopcock to take incoming MDPE, but what’s best after that (ie replace with 22mm copper or plastic pipe if more practical)? Else use existing stopcock and join MDPE to existing pipework below it (but how?).

Appreciate any help. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The road end is a pain. Everyone gets uptight if you dig up the pavement! Normally you leave a length of PE poking up and the boyos come along from the water company, relieve you of a few hundred and connect your pipe to the main in place of the original. They will want to inspect the house first for water regs transgressions.

The usual at your end is to convert to copper, either at a stopcock or with an adapting coupler.

Tracer wires aren't normally used, afaik.

You should have discussed it with your Water Company first. Some have a free lead replacement scheme so if your old pipe was lead you could get the stop tap box connection done free and a new upgraded poly pipe back to the main into the bargain. It might still be worth contacting them, but they won't want you making the connection to their stop tap box, so it could cost you as ChrisR said.

You maybe able to connect the MDPE to the existing metal using a "plasson universal coupling".

Leave a small tail on the existing pipe and coonnect onto that.

I'd replace the internal pipework with copper or plastic for simplicity sake.

Trace wire isn't important. They are a bonus not a requirement.

For your best bet with the outside conenction, collar one of the Water Co repair teams and offer them a brew&breakfast if they can come and connect pipe to pipe for you.

Sponsored Links
You will need one of these for the galvanised indoors and the water board for outside.

adaptxv1.jpg

chrishutt said:
BoxBasher said:
Trace wire isn't important. They are a bonus not a requirement.
Your Water Company may insist on it!

They aren't a requirement in the Water regulations... therefore they may insist on it as much as they like.

There is also no requirement to inform or notify the Water Co of the replacement of existing water supply pipes.

chrishutt said:
BB seems to think he knows it all, but the OP might like to check this link.

I can't see on that link where it makes any mention of a trace wire...? :confused:

AquaCare certainly don't use trace wires so I see no reason why BWHWater could compel other "contractors" to do so

Well worth searching out a AquaCare van and having a quiet word. I know the blokes who moled mine were pretty amenable to a little bit of extra curricular work.

Mind I plied them with bacon sarnies, tea and bikkies not to mention a nice warm garage on a freezing Feb day :D

BoxBasher said:
chrishutt said:
BB seems to think he knows it all, but the OP might like to check this link.
I can't see on that link where it makes any mention of a trace wire...? :confused:
I didn't say there was anything on the link about trace wires. It just happens to be very pertinent to the OP's situation. Of course the OP might be with Wessex rather than BWH Water.

The supply company might want the pipe in Wavin (or similar) duct. Severn Trent did when I changed mine a few years ago.

Hi I'm a plumber have laid plenty of mains. I have never used a trace and have never been asked to so forget about that. As for the connection to the existing pipe outside I would be very surprised if it was steel, I would expect its lead if it is you need a plasson fitting that goes from lead to mdpe, your need a 25mm insert for the mdpe pipe but nothing is needed for the lead just make sure you tighten the fitting fully. You can get these from your local plumbers merchants..

I also see a comment above that I think is wrong!

If the supply is not being replaced by a WR registered plumber then you need to notify the water supplier so they can come and see the pipe in the trench BEFORE its covered up!

Or at least give them the opportunity to look at it. I gather that most do come!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back