connecting new toilet to existing sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am at the head on of a sewer (no one upstream from me). I want to put a new toilet in downstairs and connect to the existing foul waste drain/sewer.

My builder has said that you cannot have any bends in the waste pipe between the toilet and the sewer. Having looked at the building regs Part H Section 2 (Foul drainage) 2.13 says that "the layout of the drainage system should be kept simple. Changes of direction and gradient should be minimised and as easy as practicable". This says to me that there can be bends if needed.

I appreciate a 90degree bend is too steep and could lead to blockages but surely adding some 45degree bends would work. The reason I ask is this. In my badly drawn picture below you will see the black existing sewer pipe and manhole where the upstairs toilet flows down and through. My proposed new toilet is the green image. The builder thinks that the pipe would have to run as per the red pipe I've drawn but I think that it is then connecting to the sewer pointing the wrong way (not in the direction of the sewer run off). If he built it like I have drawn in Blue ( a couple of 'soft' bends in it) it would allow connection to the sewer in the direction of flow.

The alternative is I move the toilet to the point marked with and X and have a straight pipe to the sewer. But I really would prefer to have the toilet where it is in my drawing.

Any Ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
How deep is the chamber and what is in it?

I'd be thinking about a new plastic chamber in a better position.

Or connect onto the line down stream of the chamber with a 45degree branch connector whilst still being close enough to the existing chamber for rodding etc.

The existing chamber is about 1.3 metres deep and as you look down it ith has the waste from upstairs toilet running through the middle in the direction of the arrows on the black 'pipe' drawing and also the current kitchen and upstairs bathroom waste water running in to it at a slight angle from the toilet waste (sort of like a 'Y' shape running in to one gully that goes in to the sewer pipe).

I've tried to draw what it looks like from above. The grey lines show the kitchen/bathwater and the toilet waste where they run in to the chamber.

I can't move the current manhole so the new toilet has to connect in to it.

Sponsored Links
Branch your new w.c. run onto the existing w.c. run, prior to it entering the chamber and fairly close to it.
Plumbing section? Drains? Don't make me laff, that would mean them having to use a shovel!

so I can put a bend in the new wc run providing the bend aren't too steep?

That is what I'm trying to clarify I guess (like the blue pipe I drew but connecting up behind the back of the manhole)?

It will be a 45 degree branch not a bend.

sewer-265x265-triple-socket-45-junction.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back