Connecting Oven / cooker to power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have an oven / cooker which I want to connect to the power supply.
Behind the rear cover, there's a terminal post with multiple green & yellow wires connected to it. Next to this, there's a terminal block with 3 connecting points. The one on the left is identified by an 'A', the middle one is identified with an 'N' and the third is also identified with an 'A.' I presume that 'A' means 'Power' and 'N' means neutral but am unsure if I'm meant to join the 2 'A' connecting points with a link wire or whether I should just connect the red wire to one of them. Your help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well you need to be careful but asking here is a good start.

Generally yellow/green means earth (might be called ground there) and I think that in kiwiland they have the concept of Active (what we might call live or phase or whatever is in vogue now). So that is the probably the A.

What does the cooker manual have to say about it? Is it a single phase cooker? Probably not by sound of it. Suppose I should ask for photos before somebody else does. Of both the cooker and the equipment in the wall where you are going to connect it to the household wiring.

Most stoves/cookers are designed to share the load across 2 phases or "A"'s
when available. The "A"'s are usually joined together if only a single phase supply.

Does old cooker site have only 3 wires coming out of wall ?

If you connect only 1 "A" to red/active then only half of cooker will work, usually either hotplates or oven.

Many thanks for this. The unit is second hand so I don't have access to a manual. I've yet to remove the old unit from the wall so can't see what the existing wiring looks like so will revisit this site when I'v progressed. Thanks again for your generous help

Well you need to be careful but asking here is a good start.

Generally yellow/green means earth (might be called ground there) and I think that in kiwiland they have the concept of Active (what we might call live or phase or whatever is in vogue now). So that is the probably the A.

What does the cooker manual have to say about it? Is it a single phase cooker? Probably not by sound of it. Suppose I should ask for photos before somebody else does. Of both the cooker and the equipment in the wall where you are going to connect it to the household wiring.

Sponsored Links
It's very kind of you to help me with this. I haven't ripped the old oven from the wall so don't know how many wires are in the original feed. I'll revisit this site when I've done so.
Thanks again
Most stoves/cookers are designed to share the load across 2 phases or "A"'s
when available. The "A"'s are usually joined together if only a single phase supply.

Does old cooker site have only 3 wires coming out of wall ?

If you connect only 1 "A" to red/active then only half of cooker will work, usually either hotplates or oven.

It's very kind of you to help me with this. I haven't ripped the old oven from the wall so don't know how many wires are in the original feed. I'll revisit this site when I've done so.
Thanks again

OK Please be careful and turn off the power to the stove first and make sure your earth connection is secure as that will save your life if the stove has a fault.

Yes, I'm most careful about making sure the power's off after an 'incident' which straightened my naturally curly hair!
I've checked the existing wall - to - oven wiring and there are only 3 wires, Black, Red & Green/Yellow.
Thanks again

OK Please be careful and turn off the power to the stove first and make sure your earth connection is secure as that will save your life if the stove has a fault.

Back