Connecting room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a standard boiler set up, ie wall mounted boiler with 3 position valve, pump and controller in the Airing cupboard. The system doesn't have a room stat, only TRVs on the radiators.

I'm not happy with this, so I'm planning to fit a room thermostst, my question is how do I wire this into the original set up?

There is a Honeywell junction box in the airing cupboard and everything seems to connect into that, with 2 cables going off to the boiler.

Its a Glow worm ultimate 40ff boiler and a acl lifestyle lp112 controller.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Wire it in between the heating 'on' terminal in the programmer and the white wire from the valve. Presumably, at present you have the white wire connected straight to heating on.

Hi Breesey,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the white wire goes to the controller at the moment, not sure which terminal without checking. But there are just 4 wires going to the controller, the white one, one from the cylinder stat and live and neutral.

Thanks,
Dave

Ideally you should have a wire connecting the HW off, in the programmer, to the grey wire of the valve.
Which room stat are you getting?

Sponsored Links
There should be two wires from cylinder stat to programmer; HW on and HW off.

It doesn't really matter which terminals. White wire normally goes to 5. Programmer CH to 4.

Thanks for the info chaps, I'll have to sit down and study it and compare it to what I have.

I have 3 wires comming from the cylinder stat,
One connects to the Grey wire of the 3 way valve.
One connects to the controller
One connects to the Orange wire of the 3 way valve and also a blue wire going to the boiler.

I've bought both types of room stat, the powered type and the volts free type, I'll just take back what I don't use.

I'll have draw my wiring diagram and compare it to the one you've given me.
But at a glance they seem so different.

Thanks, Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back