Connecting small fuel tank for oil heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My main oil tank is leaky, decided to replace it with a 100L plastic drum.
How does one connect copper pipe to plastic drum ? I cannot reach in to the bottom with any tools from inside to have a proper screw-in tap. Its a single piece mold with two threaded holes with caps at the top. Need to come up with a way to attach piping from outside only.

Any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
drill hole to suit a [Conex 15mm Tank Connector 321] pass a piece of string with a nut tied on the end through side hole and feed out through the screw cap at top.

pull long length of string and feed through the tank connector tie a washer behind the tank connector and draw the connector through the inside of the barrel through the hole fit washer with the string, tighten bulk head nut and you then have a std 15 compression fitting to reduce down to your chosen pipe size.

not sure about wisdom of doing so... but for you to decide.

good luck

Put syphon pipe through one of the top holes, down to the bottom of the tank. Once you have sucked fuel up and over the top the syphon effect will keep the fuel flowing and no holes to drill.

Both are sound advices. Thanks.

In case of Conex, what/how do i seal/leakproof it ? What compunds can i use to put on the base to glue/seal the metal piece to barrel itself ?

Sponsored Links
Whoa for gods sake for the sake of safety stop get a proper tank what are you doing condoning not using a proper tank if anything happens eg fire you are not going to get paid out and you may be prosecuted use a tank made for the job do the job right please

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back