Oil Central Heating Fuel Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have my oil boiler resited in my house.

The oil supply pipe, tank to boiler was fitted 30 yrs ago and is part buried and is also clipped to the house where it runs above the concrete path.

What are current Regs regarding the burying the pipe and or clipping the pipe to the house wall? Maybe plastic coated 10mm pipe running thru garden hose at 6" depth will be ok?

What fire valves will need to be fitted? Where can or can't I fit the fuel micron filter element assy (not the tank strainer), which is currently in the heating cuboard?

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Just to dampen your enthusiasm a little; just by moving your existing boiler you could fall foul of several building regulations covering the boiler, oil tank & their installation. Your current tank & it’s location & even the boiler itself (depending on it's age) may not comply with current regs. Unless you use an OFTEC registered technician, what you’re proposing is notifyable to your LABC & if you can’t produce a certificate of compliance for the work when you come to sell, your sale may fall through. You will then have to get it retrospectively inspected & certified but this will be at the date of inspection & not the present time; fully bunded tanks will be with us soon so that could work out expensive!

I kept my existing 2 year old boiler in it's current location but had a new oil tank installed in the garden so I could demolish the old external tank cupboard built into the house; with everything else I had to do the get complance & certification, it cost me nearly a grand!

Fire valve must be outside at the point of entry; probably the best place for the micron filter too.

EDIT
The price of fuel oil now might make it worth considering converting either to anew gas or LPG system.

Sponsored Links
Richard C,

Not sure how to take your reply!
I read the all comments posted, they were informative. Now I am thinking it over about what to do.

Thus the thankyou. Rather than leaving the topic open ended!

Regards
Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back