Connecting to services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I hope this is the best forum to post this question.

I am hoping to build a small house for my partner on land at the bottom of my garden. All the service connections would have to be made from an unadopted road which runs down the side of the garden. I have right of access down this road to my parking space but the service connections for my existing house come from a different, public road.

I’m wondering if it would be possible to get permission to connect to the services that run down the unadapted road, and how I would go about doing so. If I would need to get agreement from all the houses on the unadapted road it would probably be a non-starter, I’m sure at least one person would object. Is there hope?

Sponsored Links
Unless your garden is enormous, then why not run them over your land? The consultation time, hassle, compensation and making good to everyone's satisfaction might make it more worthwhile. If you do, organise easements etc, so as not to be. a pain for your successors in title.

Thanks, might work for some of the services, definitely won’t work for sewerage though (slope of garden) ...

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is check your deeds/land registry registration and the registration of your neighbours who share the access. You may already have the right to run services, but sometimes these rights drop off the registration, hence it is always interesting to see what is written on neighbours info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back