Connecting to soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new kitchen and re-located waste pipe i want to connect to the existing house soil pipe (outside). I have dug a trench to the soil pipe which comes out about a foot higher.
1. can i connect to it from directly above, or should i run the new connection into the side of the soil pipe at the same level?
2. Should i put an inspection chamber at this junction?
3. Where the waste pipe comes out of the house to my new soil pipe should i incorporate a trap in the new soil pipe?
Thanks for all replies.

Sponsored Links
mills said:
I have a new kitchen and re-located waste pipe i want to connect to the existing house soil pipe (outside). I have dug a trench to the soil pipe which comes out about a foot higher.
Are you aware that this work is notifiable and subject to Building Control approval?

1. can i connect to it from directly above, or should i run the new connection into the side of the soil pipe at the same level?
Er, it's usually to connect into the side of a soil stack, but what do you mean by "connect to it from directly above"? :confused:

What? Are you proposing to connect a kitchen waste pipe underground? If so, then don't.

3. Where the waste pipe comes out of the house to my new soil pipe should i incorporate a trap in the new soil pipe?
Waste from what? Whatever the answer to a trap in the soil pipe is not permissible (or sensible). I have a hunch that you're using the word "soil" when you mean something else.

Could you restate your questions and/or give your definition of the following words:

waste
junction
trap
soil

:?:

Thanks for your comments, I've called in an expert to have a look!

Just so you know what i was trying to explain;
I have a new kitchen layout including new sink/washing machine/dishwasher location which exits the building in a new area, at about 18" above the soil level.
I have the white waste pipe (about 2.5"diameter)exiting the house(not yet connected to anything) and i want it connecting to the existing underground pipework (a black fibre/composite 4" pipe).
I had provisionally dug a trench from white pipe to black pipe. I have exposed the black pipe where i want to connect. The trench is not as deep as the black pipe and i was asking whether i can drop the new pipe directly down into it or dig the trench deeper and run in to the side of the black pipe. Now i've given it some thought i'm sure it should go in the side.
Thanks for your help.

mills said:
...i was asking whether i can drop the new pipe directly down into it or dig the trench deeper and run in to the side of the black pipe.
You're not allowed to do either!

Now i've given it some thought i'm sure it should go in the side.
And I'm sure that it shouldn't connect to the underground drain at all.

Sponsored Links
OK. Without meaning to, I've misled you slightly. Apologies.

Revisiting the second question from your first post, it should have gone like this:

Yes. All underground runs must be roddable, and all junctions must be accessible.

Whilst I'm not aware of any specific regulation that prevents you connecting a 40mm kitchen waste to a 110mm (or 4", or whatever) underground foul drain pipe, it's not a good technical solution, IMHO.

Also, because foul drain modifications are notifiable, you can't do it without LABC approval, and I would expect a BCO to reject this idea.

So, if you have no soil stack nearby, my advice is to:

1. Consult your BCO for informal advice.
2. Follow his advice.
3. Notify LABC and get approval for what you want to do.
4. Carry out the work.
5. Get it inspected and obtain the certificate.

Thanks for your advice. At this point my questions are really to understand the process and keep the costs down by using my labour to dig the trench. I've employed a drainage company and left the tech. bit with them.
Cheers.

mills said:
I've employed a drainage company and left the tech. bit with them.
Probably a good call, but have you asked them to sort out the LABC approval? You would be unwise to assume that they'll do it without being asked, but they would be incompetent not to confirm with you exactly what the situation is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back