New soil pipe questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -- a quick couple of questions here regarding soil pipes. I'm digging the foundation for an extension as part of renovation work on an old house, and it's turned out that the soil pipe for the neighbour's house runs right down the middle of the trench for most of its length. I'm going to have to take it out; I'll put the new one in front of the trench, adding two shallow bends to get round the corner (I've okayed all this with the neighbour of course). I've not yet dug the trench to put it in.

The house as it currently exists has no plumbing. I'm not sure what the best course of action is for adding soil/waste pipes, or if there is a single best solution: Should I put junctions in the new soil pipe for the new kitchen, bathroom, and utility room that will be in the extension? Should I route them all into one section of pipe and join that to the new soil pipe? Should I route them into the existing inspection chamber (shown at the right in the drawings), which is a large concrete one with numerous unused entrances? Any advice you have would be great. The previous pipe setup was pretty ad hoc an chaotic so it's nice to have an opportunity to get everything in new, orderly, and accessible -- just not sure of the best way to go about it.

Here's a drawing of how it is currently, with the extension at the top:

addtext_com_MDgyNDMxMTkxOTk.jpg

And here's how it's going to be:

addtext_com_MDkwNzQ1MTc0OTc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying -- the layout for the new run was suggested by building control, who also indicated that because the soil pipes were exclusively on mine and my neighbour's land it wouldn't require getting in touch with Anglian water. Is that incorrect? (certainly not ruling out the possibility it is)

Sponsored Links
Pipework from a neighbouring property, once it passes under the boundary, usually becomes the Water Co's responsibility. Speak to Anglian Water before doing anything, as it could well be their responsibility, and will definitely become theirs once you connect into it.

Best option for making your new connections would be via a chamber fitted into the new run. Allows access to the laterals you're planning to lay to the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back