Connecting two lights & two switches together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. I'm not an expert on electrics but know a wee bit so not entirely stupid on this subject! This question actually has two parts but if the first isn't possible then no point asking the second!

First part, I have a 2 gang light switch that switches two separate lights on. The two gang switch has a 3-core & earth at each one. The two separate switches that these are wired two have obviously the other end of the 3-core & earth & a live & switch to the lights they control. Is it possible for me to change the two gang to an intermediate then have the 3 switches (twox 1 gang 2 ways & new intermediate) turn on/off both lights at the same time??

Sponsored Links
So long as they are both on the same circuit (fuse/mcb) then there should be no problem doing that.
The 2 wires in the common terminals would need joining together in a connector and the other 4 wires connected to the intermediate switch's 4 terminals.
If they are on different circuits then no you can't.

So long as they are both on the same circuit (fuse/mcb) then there should be no problem doing that.
The 2 wires in the common terminals would need joining together in a connector and the other 4 wires connected to the intermediate switch's 4 terminals.
If they are on different circuits then no you can't.

Are you sure it would work?

I've just drawn it out, and it seemed to be I couldn't connect both switched lives for the lights to the same terminal so it works.

Could be wrong of course.

deleted

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
Yes I think you might be right I'll have to have a think about that.

Details of the wiring at both lights would be handy.

If you're lucky, they will both be on the same circuit.

If you're really lucky you will either have easy access to the wiring above the ceiling.

If you're really, really lucky there will be a cable between both lights, and one of the lights will be the last on the circuit.

image.gif
I have thought some more and it could be done with the existing wiring if the commons wire linked at the intermediate, the switch wire put into common at one end and the live made safe.
Then at the other end the wire that is in the common connected to the switch wire with a connector and the live put into the common it would work.

View attachment 130733 I have thought some more and it could be done with the existing wiring if the commons wire linked at the intermediate, the switch wire put into common at one end and the live made safe.
Then at the other end the wire that is in the common connected to the switch wire with a connector and the live put into the common it would work.

Yes, I see what you're trying to do.

Though your diagram only shows one light.

The 'third' core in the 3 cores can be used used to supply the second light, with connectors.

I'd draw a revised diagram, detailing how the 'third' core in the 3 core and earth cable would supply the second light, I'm sure someone will do it soon...

That's what I was trying to describe, the image I posted was just another way of wiring an intermediate circuit. I don't have any drawing programs.

Hopefully both lights are on the same circuit then.

How about Part Two of your question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back