Is this 3way switching without an intermediate?

... but even in them-there 'old days' of large contact separation, the system had the interesting 'feature' of sometimes leaving both sides of the lamp/bulb 'live' when it was 'off'!
An even more interesting, when used in its native U S of A, the polarity applied to the thread of the ES lamp would flip between HOT & COLD depending upon which switch was operated ..... the thread of the lamp could be 'live' with the lamp extinguished .........
That was essentially part of my point - but it surely would (if there were an ES lamp) be as true in good old Blighty as it would across the water, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
... but even in them-there 'old days' of large contact separation, the system had the interesting 'feature' of sometimes leaving both sides of the lamp/bulb 'live' when it was 'off'!
An even more interesting, when used in its native U S of A, the polarity applied to the thread of the ES lamp would flip between HOT & COLD depending upon which switch was operated ..... the thread of the lamp could be 'live' with the lamp extinguished .........
That was essentially part of my point - but it surely would (if there were an ES lamp) be as true in good old Blighty as it would across the water, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, indeed it was/is.

I guess my point was that the origin of this particular circuit is the US where they have always used ES lamps. By the time the ES style lamp made it into common use here in UK I think such a switching schematic had been 'outlawed' by the regs?

Yes, indeed it was/is. I guess my point was that the origin of this particular circuit is the US where they have always used ES lamps. By the time the ES style lamp made it into common use here in UK I think such a switching schematic had been 'outlawed' by the regs?
Fair enough. Although it clearly is potentially dangerous, for several reasons, I'd have to do a fair bit of thinking to decide what (if any!) regs explicitly forbid such a switching arrangement, even today! Anyone got there before me?

Kind Regards, John

Slight diversion.
This week I was installing a large quantity of fancy RETROTOUCH switches for a customer.

One of the switches was marked with this warning label

I have asked the manufacturer to translate this into English, but have had no reply. Does anybody fancy having a guess?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back