Connecting up new oven & hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've nearly finished fitting my new kitchen, just waiting for a professional to fit the worktops for me ;)
Previously we had a free standing cooker, now have a built under fan oven with a seperate ceramic hob.
The supply to the outlet is 6.0mm and the oven is already connected up.
When I connect the hob, should I be connecting to the same wall outlet, or can I connect it up through the oven (or the oven to the hob).
Looking at the wall outlet plate, I'm not sure there will be sufficient room to get both cables in there and through the cable clamp in the outlet, whereas there is room for more than 1 cable through the clamps into the back of the oven and also the clamp for the hob.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Somebody who knows more about it will probably be along in a minute, but it is not unusual to connect a single oven (if it is less than 3 KW) to the kitchen ring via a 13 Amp plug, leaving the cooker circuit for the hob only.

Thanks TicklyT.

The oven is 2.8KW and I did consider using a 13 amp socket behind the cupboard next the oven, but when everything is finished, I won't be able to get to the socket to isolate the supply to the oven if I ever need to.

Another way might be a 13A socket (unswitched) on a spur for the oven wired via an accessible switch from the kitchen ring.

Sponsored Links
I like my method. Wire a socket switched by the cooker switch. Isolation and protection. :D This can be done by means of a junction box behind the oven or if you can, in the cooker outlet plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back