Connecting upstairs soil pipe into downstairs Gully Trap ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a new upstairs toilet which will discharge into an existing waste pipe downstairs.
I believe the existing pipe starts with a ceramic gully trap and was wondering if I could connect straight into this, or if this is just asking for blockages (I would obviously include an access point for de-blocking).
The existing waste pipe is in the corner of a utility room and used to collect rainwater (it used to run under the back door and across the floor) and kitchen waste. The existing pipe runs under the utility room and downstairs bathroom floor where the downstairs toilet connects in.
Will this be OK or do I have to dig up the old trap and put in a rest bend ?

Sponsored Links
I am planning to install a new upstairs toilet which will discharge into an existing waste pipe downstairs. I believe the existing pipe starts with a ceramic gully trap and was wondering if I could connect straight into this
No
or do I have to dig up the old trap and put in a rest bend ?
Yes or it won’t comply with Building Regs.

I assume you’ve checked that the waste run you propose to connect into is of suitable size & actually discharges into the foul drain system & is not a surface water drain?

You should also be aware that installing a room with anew toilet is controlled building work which must comply with several Building Regulations, is subject to LABC inspection & certification!

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes the existing pipe is the right diameter and feeds into the foul drain. I understand about building regs but asked the question as a matter of fact...wondered if it work fine or not ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back