Connecting washing machine waste under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I've just started renting a new flat. It's a new-build and the owner had never installed a washing machine so I've just bought one. I'm going to connect it myself but have realised that the drain hose is going to have to connect to the waste trap underneath the kitchen sink, as there isn't a standing pipe for it to go into.

The washing machine has arrived today and I can see that the end of the hose will fit tightly over the inlet (see images - haven't connected everything up yet, just wanted to check the hose would fit), however I'm going to also add a jubilee clip to make sure it's extra secure. Is there anything else I should do? I've read a few things about this kind of connection causing water from the sink to end up in the washing machine, which I obviously don't want!

Sponsored Links
As above and make sure hose from the washing machine loops up before going back to the machine. Appliance will pump the water out quite happily, whereas gravity flow from the sink wont go back uphill.

Sponsored Links
Also ... buy a jubilee clip or a large thick tie wrap just to secure the rubber end onto the spigot properly, don't want that popping off under full flow drain cycle.

As above and make sure hose from the washing machine loops up before going back to the machine. Appliance will pump the water out quite happily, whereas gravity flow from the sink wont go back uphill.

Apologies for being thick, but what do you mean by "make sure hose from the washing machine loops up before going back to the machine"? Thanks.

Looks to me like you'll have done that already - ie don't turn that spigot downwards. There is normally a blank under the ~3cm nut where the spigot swivels.

Apologies for being thick, but what do you mean by "make sure hose from the washing machine loops up before going back to the machine"? Thanks.

Hose needs to go up to around the height of the machine, before dropping down to the drain point, where it connects onto the sink. Frank has given a perfect illustration in the photo above of how it should be done. This is done to prevent any discharge from the sink finding its way into the washing machine.

Hi, I paid delivery mens£50 to install my new washing machine they haven’t levelled it properly but do you think the connections are ok? I had to get them back the first time it was leaking everywhere and they blamed the spigot thing under the sink but it was brand new so they fitted the old one full of sludge , do you think I will get any back flow into the machine? The sing gurgles when draining and a bit of water comes up through plug hole

Attachments

• 1D7FFEC7-E0A2-48D6-AD12-3FCD9DDA81AE.jpeg
    1D7FFEC7-E0A2-48D6-AD12-3FCD9DDA81AE.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 985
  • 283B34A6-7479-41B1-A8B0-982641AFF334.jpeg
    283B34A6-7479-41B1-A8B0-982641AFF334.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 66452DF9-FB79-4E72-A839-8EB469765689.jpeg
    66452DF9-FB79-4E72-A839-8EB469765689.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 808
  • 739C739D-DAB1-487C-88A7-782E4B90E232.jpeg
    739C739D-DAB1-487C-88A7-782E4B90E232.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 844
Do you think the spigot thing needs to be more up right like the person’s who started this thread?

Its better to start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one, but,
Your problem is that horrible flexible concertina type waste pipe from the trap outlet. Get that changed for 40mm pipe, all the seals checked and make sure you clear any blockages.

Pritchy, Looks like the pipe from your sink overflow is missing, it's the white stub of rectangular pipe (side of sink) in your first photo.

Yes I know it’s been like that since so moved here I don’t know how to fix it or what part I need, but do you think my washing machine is ok for now or will the water back flow into the machine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back