Connecting Wires

I dont think this has anything to do with a particular trade association.

The second spark could quite as easily been from the same group, and could have held the same "thats not right" opinion.

The issue is there are crap sparks, and good sparks, and regardless of what association they are affiliated with, they'll still produce crap/good work.

Even the assocs that test yearly, well you just make damn sure the job they're inspecting is absolutely cock on. Doesnt mean the work you produce the rest of the year is any good.

Sponsored Links
Hi Havntaclue,

Maybe the disagreements are due to the 'more than one way to skin a cat' approach that the regs allow.

Have you ever read the regs? If you had, it would be easy to see why a number of differerent interpretations exist! The authors like to use words like 'consider' , 'as necessary' and 'take into account' which obviously opens the door to different solutions.

As seen here recently, there is also a problem where some sparks are telling others to shut up if there not qualified to the 16th edition :eek: :LOL:
A comment like that in october 2009 speaks volumes about the competence of that person :LOL:

You do however have a point about the pile of KAK that is part pee.

As you seem to have agrasp of the problems at thand that all good sparkies have, why don't you lobby your local MP about the farce?

Do all us bickering sparkies a favour. As there are helpful sparkies here who will give free help to you from the goodness of their heart, please reciprocate - as a consumer, your point of view (and vote) may count for more than the view of a average malcontented griping whinging contradictory sparky!

I already lobied by Buildings Control when i had the situation. They agreed totally with me. All they cared about was getting the certificate, when, how or by whom (just so long it was one of the 'competant scheme', it didnt matter.
My buildings control didnt have a clue about Part P, he even said he hadnt read it in full. In some occasions, i told them the the rules, even highlighting and send them a copy of the relevant information.

The whole Part P, sparky things really grates. Still your guys were very good and gave me some options, which at least i have a bit a knowledge now.

Regards
HaC

Sponsored Links
The whole Part P, sparky things really grates.
Well, at least now you know not to employ an electrician just on the basis of being registered. The minimum qualification needed to get that status is woefully inadequate, and does not guarantee that the person has a clue how to do the job properly.

I'm intrigued by your CU OP.

On the two breakers to the left, has somebody crossed out the word 'ring' and written 'down' and 'up' underneath? So those two breakers are now labelled 'up down' and down up'?

You know you could probably connect number 9 'kitchen lights' into number 4 'down lights' and put a new breaker in at number 9 for your shed. Remember to swap the neutral over too to the other busbar.

But in all honesty, for what you're going to use it for, a simple FCU from that spur in the loft (assuming it's not going anywhere else?) will be the easiest way. It'll be safe also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back