connection armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody
I’m looking for some advice when I had my house rewired a few years ago I had the company put an outside single socket for me with a RCD box inside the property
I have just got a new shed which is about twenty metres from the outside weatherproof socket I would like to have power to the shed for lighting plus it would be a lot easier to use the lawnmower because even with an outside socket I still have to use an extension lead to use the mower at the moment My idea is to use a 2.5 armoured cable run along the wall and fence to a double switch ip56 socket at the shed My problem is how best to make the connection (Legally) at the old socket at the house any advice would be helpful
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The only legal way is to notify LABC in advance.

From a safety POV cables shouldn't be fixed to fences.

Other factors to consider:

1) Is the existing outside socket on a fused spur? If not it will need to be.

2) Will you be able to gland SWA into the socket enclosure?

Hi
Thanks for your help the electrician put in a power breaker which has a 30ma trip currant and the cable that runs from that box which looks like a ring main cable runs to the outside wall directly into a weatherproof socket What I was hoping for was a way I could get power to the shed with out coming under the IP code as I already have outside power ideally I would love to put a plug on the end of SWA cable and just plug it in but I have told that’s a No No but then I see that the Blagdon sells products like that but you pay a premium for? I have taken on board what you have said about the fence I have a wall on the other side of the garden which runs the whole length to the shed but it would mean running the cable under a couple of paving slabs to which a have a concrete base get to the wall do you see a problem with that your thoughts would be welcome.

a 30ma trip currant
Yummy.

Please use full stops. That way we can take a breath.

The blagdon products have to be plugged in indoors.

An IP code or rating is a standard of numerically measuring a device's resistance to ingress from moisture and small objects. Is this what you meant? :confused:

Sponsored Links
You could, of course, run a 13A plug + weather resistant flex into an adaptable box where it could then be glanded onto a length of SWA. This still doesn't get around the issue of the building regulations (I assume by IP you actually meant part P?), and it's a cheap, nasty way of getting power to an outbuilding.

Hi
Thanks for your help the electrician put in a power breaker which has a 30ma trip currant
What about overload protection?

What I was hoping for was a way I could get power to the shed with out coming under the IP code as I already have outside power
If, as electronicsuk surmised, you mean not "coming under Part P", then you should be aware of the following:

1) Anything fixed that you install has to comply with the safety requirements of P1, even if it is not notifiable. And plugging something in doesn't necessarily mean it's not fixed.

2) As this is an outdoor power installation anything fixed is notifiable.

ideally I would love to put a plug on the end of SWA cable
Physically impossible.

I see that the Blagdon sells products like that but you pay a premium for?
They are of dubious value in terms of being non-notifiable.

I have taken on board what you have said about the fence I have a wall on the other side of the garden which runs the whole length to the shed but it would mean running the cable under a couple of paving slabs to which a have a concrete base get to the wall do you see a problem with that your thoughts would be welcome.
Nothing wrong with burying SWA - it's meant for that - make sure it's deep enough, is protected against sharp stones and has warning tape above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back