Connection from cistern to toilet bowl leaking at bowl.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a concealed cistern behind a fitted unit that connects to the bowl via an L shaped pipe. It has started leaking at the joint to the toilet bowl. I note that the cistern and bowl are not aligned properly. The L shaped joint looks as though it was cut short by the plumber to fit it and has now come loose. It still leaks leaks when I try to reconnect it. Any idea how to reconnect this badly aligned set up without a leak? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've had this. The flush pipe (the L shaped pipe feeding the pan) goes into a large rubber washer (fin connecter) which pushes into a hole in the back of the pan. The pipe shouldn't be loose, if it's loose then check the end which goes into the cistern, and tighten it (or replace the seal and tighten as necessary). I cured my leak by... Pull the fin connector out, ensure everything is dry, apply some silicon around it and re-insert. Leave for a day before using.

This will only work if the pipe goes straight into the pan, not at an angle.

As above.....if the flush pipe has been disturbed recently it could have budged from the pan connection.
Most of the ones I have seen have actually been white plastic or nylon, but a silicon smear around the fins usually gets it.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Right Guys.

I have received the flexible pipe assembly, in bits, which is not a problem because I can cut the pipe for best fit. The flexible fit is the best solution, because when the cistern is flushed the pipe moves!

The instructions with the fitting say use PVC glue, but searching on youtube etc the alternative is to use PVC cement and primer. What's the best? Also do I use silicon compound between at toilet/fins connection, adaptor to fin connector connection, and screw fixing to cistern?

Any things a knacker like me should I look out for?

Would a plumber be offended if I asked him to fix this kit?

(When I preview the pictures they look a bit small. Hopefully my words are sufficient.)

//media.diynot.com/161000_160887_83412_20485771_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/161000_160887_83413_99913695_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/161000_160887_83414_24999659_thumb.jpg

A flexible flush pipe is a new one on me, but it should work fine......I'm not too keen on the pipe moving with the cistern though - the cistern should be solidly mounted to the wall.
You must use the correct adhesive for PVC - other types wont do. I'd be inclined to pop down to the local DIY and ask about that one.
Silicone can be used on the fins of the insert - it does no harm and just make sure everything is pushed fully home.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back