Connection to toilet connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a washing machine in the garage, which currently drains via a length of pipe that runs outside the house for a couple of metres before entering the underground drains - or it does normally :(. This morning, after the recent sub-zero weather, a section of the outside pipe was frozen, causing a blockage and a small flood from the washing m/c trap. (There is a dip in the outside pipe, which of course there shouldn't be, giving a section of standing water which froze).

All sorted out now, but my question is: I have a nearby downstairs toilet where the outlet goes via a 90° pan connector into a drain socket in the floor (ie vertically downwards). Would it be permissible to connect a pipe from the washing m/c directly into the pan connector via a strap boss, or would it contravene the regulations? That way, the pipe run could all be within the house (and could have a constant downward slope).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give - especially if you can give me a link to information on what is and isn't allowed in the way of drainage connections.

Rob

Sponsored Links
WC CON 8V connector by Mc Alpine - from Toolstation and others;)

As Nige says, pan connectors aren't always 110mm diameter so a strap boss wont fit. Secondly, if you were to fit a strap boss, it would have to be the mechanical version, solvent weld wont work on Pan connectors, wrong type of plastic.

Otherwise, perfectly acceptable practice, just ensure pipe is 40mm, has sufficient fall and a trap at the W/M end.

Last edited:
Oh, brilliant, thank you - and such a quick response! I guess that since it's a standard fitting, that takes care of any questions as to whether it's allowed. I may wait for warmer weather before I change it, though :).

Rob

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you, too, Hugh. Just one thing: you say 40mm (=1.5", nominally), but the drawing on the McAlpine website shows it as 1 1/4" multifit - would that matter? Should I run it in 40mm (as it is at present), and then use a reducer just before the pan connector?

(Or am I misinterpreting o/d and i/d, perhaps?).

Rob

Edited: I should have read your username in full, "Hugh" :)

Last edited:
For solvent weld the internal diameter is 40mm (or 32 for basins) and the external is 43mm.
For push fit the external diameter is 40 or 32 and the internal is 1-1/2. Or 1.1/4
For 4 inch pipe is the same 110mm whether it's to be push fit or solvent welded.
No idea why they have two standards for smaller pipe.
You can use a compression coupler to convert between similar sizes.
32mm pipe is for basins only and very short and flat runs (r that's why half the basins in the world suck the trap) and 40 can do 3m or so and cover appliances other than basins. 50mm covers longer distances.

Ideally you dont want to reduce it, as always a potential pinch point for crud to build up, but as McAlpine have a limited range of pan connectors with a 40mm boss, (really dont know why, can soon reduce from 40-32mm if need be!), provided its reduced just before the Pan connector then although not ideal, will probably be ok. Just make sure that section is accessible to clean when need arises.

Before you get too excited though, can you put a pic up of the existing setup behind the pan? There may be an alternative method we can advise on.

OK, here's a couple of pics. The first of the whole of the end of the room; the pipe from the washing m/c would come in from the right-hand wall:

20180306_210913[1].jpg

The second is taken from the left side looking towards the pan connector and right-hand wall:
20180306_210217[1].jpg

Do these show what you need to see?

Not a lot of room there, to use the connector with the 40mm boss, may put you too high to use a 90 on top to connect the pan. Why they dont make them all with a 40mm as standard I dont know, can easily reduce to 32mm if needed. Think the only option may be to use the 32mm and reduce at last moment from 40-32mm.

You're right, the space between the top of the pan connector and the underside of the cistern is quite limited. I think the W8CONV would just about give room for the 90° connection, and I may have to reroute the supply connection to the cistern. Otherwise, I might try connecting to the waste pipe from the handbasin (above the skirting board, on the left of the first photo), perhaps after changing it from 32mm to 40mm. I'm going to have to plan it carefully.

Thanks to both respondents for your advice, which has been very helpful in clarifying what my options are.

Going back to your original post though, provided there is no standing water in the pipe, if there is nothing to freeze, then it cant freeze! I'd be tempted to look at sorting the existing external run out, get rid of that dip, and you should find there is no longer an issue. That is unless you want to bring the pipe inside for cosmetic reasons.

If height is an issue, then have a look at this one, https://mcalpineplumbing.com/wc-con...ccessories/wc-bp1-boss-pipe-use-wc-connectors, which would get your waste connection down to floor level, but that is then assuming there is sufficient room to get a 90° pan connector in above to connect the WC. (Should be or else it would be pretty much useless!) This does also have the benefit of a 40mm boss.

If you can get a 40mm connection in, then I would do so. I know its slightly more faff fitting it, but long term could be a lot less faff if it keeps blocking up at the reducer. As you've already found out, washing machines make a mess when they overflow....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back