Connector blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all....i need to extend wire from a plug socket to a 13amp switched fused connection unit...ive got the 2.5mm electrical wire but unsure if i should be using a 15amp or 30amp connector block.....???

Attachments

• 1519728925301826394484.jpg
    1519728925301826394484.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
Do you mean you already have an FCU, and you need to move it, so the cable to it needs to be longer?

No...have just bought it and need to extend the wire to it

You don't need connector blocks - you have no cable to connect to like that. The supply to the FCU is connected directly to the socket.

Sponsored Links
Ok.....what i have is a double socket that needs a FCH run from it due to having 2 double expended sockets running from the main socket but having realized i didnt place a FCH from the main socket to take the power for the 2 new sockets ....if it all makes sense

Err no, sorry, I can't visualise what you've got and what you want to do.

Can you do a diagram, or post photos?

Ok thats what i have in place now.....it keeps tripping the fuse .....so hqve been told i need to once a FCH just after outlet of new cable but need to extend that cable to the FCH..

Attachments

• 1519734586317871628788.jpg
    1519734586317871628788.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 15197347327572057945616.jpg
    15197347327572057945616.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 128
OK.

1. Yes, you do need an FCU where you show it in the 2nd drawing.
  2. No, you do not need, and in fact will simply not be able to use, connector blocks, as you will not have any cables with ends to put into them - the cables just go directly into the terminals in the FCU.
  3. If there is a breaker tripping then that is not because you have no FCU, and it will not be cured by fitting one. You've done something wrong. What is tripping - is it an MCB or RCD or RCBO? A photo of the wiring you've done would be useful.

Hi.....ok i will take a photo of what i did when i get home later....also forgot to say....the first new socket works but when i use the 2nd new socket thats when it tripps the main fuse box.

Hi.....ok i will take a photo of what i did when i get home later....also forgot to say....the first new socket works but when i use the 2nd new socket thats when it tripps the main fuse box.
Sounds like it may be a neutral/earth reversal or something similar.

Seems likely.

And BTW, Paolo:

it keeps tripping the fuse .....so hqve been told i need to once a FCH just after outlet of new cable but need to extend that cable to the FCH..
If someone actually told you that the RCD tripping was because you had no FCU, don't ever take electrical advice from them again - they are clueless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back