What should i do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new house ,ive just got round to checking the electric`s and i have noticed :

I have one main fuse box in the kitchen ,one of the 30amp fuses has 6mm cable going to it ,the other end go`s to another fuse box in my bedroom about 10metre away.

On this fuse box there is

One 15amp fuse going to one double socket {not used}
One 15amp fuse going to one double socket {tv/video}
One 15amp fuse going to one double socket {not used}
One 5 amp fuse with four wires in these are separate runs to four lights
One 15amp fuse going to a over sink water heater {not used}
And One fuse blank

I wanted to use the blank fuse for some lights in my loft. I planned on putting 10 x 100watt spots.

Is this ok??

Sponsored Links
It's a submain approach. Possibly it was previously used with a rented bedsit, where there could have been a landlord's meter on the one room.

It's a rather eccentric approach for a domestic installation, but the only thing I spot as abnormal is that the lights haven't been daisychained in the usual way.

See if you can get access to the ceiling roses in the loft. If you can make the lighting circuit more conventional you can add on as many other ceiling lamps as you like.

However, look out for any other signs of eccentric wiring. It might have been done by a continental electrician not familiar with UK standards, or an amateur, so it may not comply in other safety aspects.

How old do you think the installation is? What brand and markings are on the consumer units? As you say "fuses" and "30 Amp" i deduce that it is an old installation, and is likely to be over 30 years old, so due (at least) a professional inspection, if not replacement.

The house is very old ,an old cottage in cornwall.Even some of the plumbing has evidence of the old trade? no end caps or compression fittings for stop ends but the copper tube has been bent up and over itself

The wirring is old and i will have it replaced next year buy an electrican.

My main worry was overloading the 6mm cable fire etc..............

Do you know the load capacity ? for this size cable ,maybe i could add up the total wattage on this fuse box before i put the extra lights on

Although you have said i can so maybe i dont need to worry.

Thanks Tony.

6mm is Ok for 30 amps.

Unless the room is very cold and you have two large electrical heaters going at the same time, you are not going to fully load it. If you do overload it the fuse will blow. But if the room is that cold, spend a few pounds on loft insulation and reduce the heat required by 80%.

If you are already thinking about the rewire, start asking friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician. Ask him if he is a member of an approved self-certification scheme, and, which one (if not, find another).

You may get him to advise you on any dangerous aspects that need attention prior to the full rewire.

p.s. 10 x 100A spots is quite a lot, though within the capacity of a 5A fuse or MCB. Are you going to hold parties up there? They will cost you about 8p an hour to run. Have you considered the use of low energy bulbs, which will also last a lot longer anfd generate less heat?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
6mm is Ok for 30 amps.

Unless the room is very cold and you have two large electrical heaters going at the same time, you are not going to fully load it. If you do overload it the fuse will blow. But if the room is that cold, spend a few pounds on loft insulation and reduce the heat required by 80%.

If you are already thinking about the rewire, start asking friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician. Ask him if he is a member of an approved self-certification scheme, and, which one (if not, find another).

You may get him to advise you on any dangerous aspects that need attention prior to the full rewire.

p.s. 10 x 100A spots is quite a lot, though within the capacity of a 5A fuse or MCB. Are you going to hold parties up there? They will cost you about 8p an hour to run. Have you considered the use of low energy bulbs, which will also last a lot longer anfd generate less heat?

You may get him to advise you on any dangerous aspects that need attention prior to the full rewire.[/quote]

Being a member of a self cert scheme does not guarantee you will get a good job, I know plenty of part p registered sparks who I would not trust with a torch in the outside privy.

Recommendation is the best way, and if he is not registered go through the LABC route

crystal ball said:
JohnD said:
...start asking friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician. Ask him if he is a member of an approved self-certification scheme, and, which one (if not, find another).

Being a member of a self cert scheme does not guarantee you will get a good job, I know plenty of part p registered sparks who I would not trust with a torch in the outside privy.

that's sometimes true... but would you have advised the OP to look for an electrician that wasn't?

JohnD said:
crystal ball said:
JohnD said:
...start asking friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician. Ask him if he is a member of an approved self-certification scheme, and, which one (if not, find another).

that's sometimes true... but would you have advised the OP to look for an electrician that wasn't?

No, but I would not discount a spark who was recommended, which is what you were advising

If you overload it, the fuse will blow. Yes, but to blow a 3036 instantaneously would take approx twice the rated current. A small-medium overload can be carried for quite some time before it pops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back