Conned By a Ten Year Old

S

Shutpa

Arriving in the capital this morning, I got a call from my students father saying that he would be unable to pick me up and could I get a taxi? I did and after the 90 minute session, the student hinted that dad was going through a difficult time financially. As it was our last tutoring session and although the money was there on the table, I then said that the dad could have the last session on me. I felt really good as I left until mum suddenly appeared and ask if I would like a lift to my next student a few streets away. "Yes please" I replied and we walked to the side of the house where her birthday present stood waiting. A 16 plate, but used Range Rover. "Very nice", I said and have since wondered what she will say when she finds out that there is an extra £60 to spend on petrol. Will I never learn?

Sponsored Links
Just had the £60 and my taxi fare transferred to my account. The dad was shocked to find out from his kid that they were having financial difficulties but no explanation offered. And I looked forward to a good discussion on this one. Ah well. Next time.

Just had the £60 and my taxi fare transferred to my account. The dad was shocked to find out from his kid that they were having financial difficulties but no explanation offered. And I looked forward to a good discussion on this one. Ah well. Next time.
A good discussion with whom? Not the kid, or his father, it was the last tutoring session.
With us?

Sponsored Links
A good discussion with whom? Not the kid, or his father, it was the last tutoring session.
Obviously not, then.
Could be.

You are playing dense on purpose, aren't you?

A good discussion with us (excluding you) on the merits of being kind (nice to people) and then discovering (finding out) that you have been taken for a ride (a metaphor for being duped (tricked)) which has been rendered (caused to become) moot (of little or no practical value) by the actual outcome (result).

I'll excuse myself, (make an apology for not participating) for not entering into a discussion ( a debate about some subject matter) about karma (the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual influence the future of that individual). Only 'cos I ain't interested. (showing curiosity or concern)

We were kind of conned yesterday by a family of Donald Trump's 'friends' (I'm not a fan of his, and am not tarring everyone with the same brush, but you get the drift!), when they were haggling for some stuff we are selling at our garage sale. Each clothing item was only priced at 25c, so they grabbed more than 20, plus a few kids' toys, and wanted everything for $5 (total would have been $14). We said $10, they said $7, we said $10, they said $8, we said $10 (I wasn't budging), they put the toys back, and then paid the full $5 for the clothes! o_O:confused: The one kid started crying and the other went and picked one of the toys back up so the parents started scolding them. My wife, being the soppy bugger she is, then said they could have it all for $8. So, away they all went, as happy as Larry, and thanking us 'so much'.
We watched them walk down the drive, and suddenly my wife felt silly as she saw them get into a brand, spanking, new one of these:

ram35001.jpg

I suppose that few extra bucks was needed for gas (oops, I mean petrol) to get them to the end of our street!! :rolleyes::mad:

Last edited:
Probably on the never-never anyway, Mr H; it never ceases to amaze me how many people I know who must be on six figure salaries, as their cars are worth three times more than mine :whistle:

Probably on the never-never anyway, Mr H; it never ceases to amaze me how many people I know who must be on six figure salaries, as their cars are worth three times more than mine :whistle:

That's what I was thinking, seems to be the thing now, drive the latest car but not own anything. So glad I couldn't care less about status symbols.

Shutpa and Mister's Mrs - keep being nice, the world needs more folk like that, even if occasionally it means you get taken for a ride (in their brand new cars)! :)

Sponsored Links
Back