Conservation area/Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I quoted to instal two velux roof windows with light wells through the ceilings.
I asked the client to check if they needed planning permission due to the area being in a conservation zone.

The PP was not needed no restrictions on type of velux used as they are at the rear of the property.

The day before I am due to start I receive an email from client advising they have paid for Building Control to oversee the installation.

This got my back up if I am being honest.

Start day roof stripped for opening, double rafters go in all trimming done, wait for Building Control to turn up, eventually officer turns up and is Happy with my knowledge and all is correct.

Then he says he is visiting the next day to oversee installation of second velux, which he did, the he is visiting the next day to oversee installation of double joists and trimmers, he postponed, but expected the job to be put on hold until he was able to attend.

The problem was I had trade's booked in as it is a bigger job that just velux's, I explained this to client and photographs became the acceptable means of evidence.

Yesterday I received an email, three days after the photos were accepted and on the day the whole room was being plastered that the building control officer wants to do final inspection - To late its all been boarded and skimmed.

Two velux's, four visits, I normally only get two or three visits for a loft conversion.

I found this utterly ridiculous......

Sponsored Links
Sounds a pain! Lesson learnt, discuss at the quote stage and add a "liaise with bco" fee to the quote if necessary. Or use a private inspector you get on with.

I think the LABC is farcicle really, they nip to the job cast their eyes over what is being done, advise if required, sign the job off and that's where their involvement ceases, they have no accountability thereafter should any structure they have signed off fails.

The entire construction industry and everyone within it should be regulated, I know sparkies and plumbers are, but I should be as a chippy.

Anyway I'm moaning....life goes on.

Sponsored Links
Why did it get your back up?
It displayed to me a lack of trust in me from the clients perspective, especially as the job was priced last year, the price explained the structural alterations etc and I gave them references which they checked from similar projects.

BC wasn't necessary and it caused uneeded stress and delays when ultimately the end result matched exactly what I had written in my quote.

I think I need a holiday.....

This is controlled works and b/regs does apply, so the client's apparent mis-trust was valid if you did not know that.
I have just re read the planning portal website, the installation of Velux's can be carried out under Permitted Development and Planning Permission is not required.

Now as a Carpenter I know the building regs for veluxs and structural alterations, I didn't say building regs doesn't apply.

So again, why get your back up when the homeowner gets BC to inspect/approve, as they're legally bound?

BC wasn't necessary

I didn't say building regs doesn't apply

I'm confused

Regarding planning permission, strictly, work is only PD if the PD criteria is met, so it's not right to say that a velux is PD or all such roof lights are. Likewise, there are other planning constraints that may apply and should be confirmed first - does the place actually have PD rights, are there any other planning conditions that may apply? And if you want the gold star, you could ask the client to check their deeds for any limitations or obligations

This is controlled works and b/regs does apply, so the client's apparent mis-trust was valid if you did not know that.
The penny has just dropped.

Thank you for explaining that Woody, it's the notifiable and obtaining planning permission I became confused with.

Thanks.

I'm confused

Regarding planning permission, strictly, work is only PD if the PD criteria is met, so it's not right to say that a velux is PD or all such roof lights are. Likewise, there are other planning constraints that may apply and should be confirmed first - does the place actually have PD rights, are there any other planning conditions that may apply? And if you want the gold star, you could ask the client to check their deeds for any limitations or obligations
It's all bye the bye now Woody, I am wrong, in my defense I've only worked on bigger projects where planning permission is required and has been approved and visits from BC are part and parcel.

I miss understood permitted development as I have never done anything under PD until now. The client notified conservation etc and I just bumbled along in my own naive world.

Thanks for setting me straight.

IMO, it's always best to have a think or a check on what regulations may apply to any work (or whether any apply) and advise that to the client, and let them decide on what they want to do. Then you have passed the risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back