Conservation area, shed planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m planning to build a shed within 2m of my boundary and I’m in a conservation area. The hight of the shed isn’t over 2.5m, however I’m planning on building a block and brick base, to bring the hight up to an existing paved area, so I can easily bring my motor bike in. The site is slopping and on the low side, it will need the base bringing up about 75. The hight including the base will exceed 2.5m, will this mean I need planning permission, as well as conservation area consent, or can I take the hight from the existing paved area?
Thanks all, I’m new on here

Sponsored Links
If you have permitted development rights then a outbuilding such as a shed can be built under those rights and to the PD criteria in a conservation area.

Height is measured from the highest existing adjacent ground level.

So my paved area counts, even though that is artificially high, as it has an 18 inch base, which like the shed, is to make it level. This is good news

No, the top of your paving isn't ground level. Ground level is ground level. However, if the site is sloping, it's ground level at the highest adjacent point, not the lowest.

Sponsored Links
Ok, that does change things, I’m fairly sure at the moment, it’ll be over the hight if measured from the ground, not the slabs. I’ve also found that in a conservation area, it seems if a shed is over 20m square, I’ll need planning. Looks like I’ll have to bite the bullet

Then you have no PD rights, and need permission regardless.

The first thing you do when considering PD work, is check whether you have PD rights in the first place.

Bloody article 4. I lobby govt for planning reform and many Conservation are protections are some of the stupidest things ever.

I'm sorry to say that you may need to seek pain advice on this; however, I would give your councils Building Regs team a call. In my experience, they're always helpful.

They’ve told me I need planning and I’m not sure I’ll actually get it, given that I already have a brick built shed at the end of my front garden ( it’s an old terrace of houses at 90 degrees to the road, so the front isn’t like a normal front garden) my raised base will be roughly 3.5 m from it. Maybe be if I didn’t have the raised base I’d be ok, but I can’t get my motor bike in without it, due to the slope of the site. Plus the neighbours aren’t keen on my plans and will probably object. Maybe I’ll have to abandon the idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back