Conservatories - Checking Fareham Firm

I don't disagree with any of the above comments regarding payment but I would like to add that Crofton is just finishing my project and I couldn't be more pleased with their work. Perhaps I have just been lucky with the builder Aaran and his team and all the other trades but they have done an amazing job and the quality of their work is top notch. My project has included quite a lot of internal work, in addition to the orangery, so has not been straightforward and will have been completed in 8 weeks from start to finish. As a competent DIYer, I am highly critical of the work of others and know what is and isn't a good job and this is definitely good. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend them but reading the above threads perhaps others have not been so lucky.

I don't know what has happened to my username but for the record I am the Rob Allen who first posted on 30 November last year.

Glad I gave a balanced opinion when we met, did you do anything differently as a result?

Sponsored Links
Hi G, really sorry for not replying sooner but I have been busy decorating and fitting a kitchen in the orangery and the email informing me of your message got lost in the noise. Your opinion, the time you gave me and the opportunity to see your extension was really helpful and much appreciated. Everything you said was spot on so I was forewarned. I didn't really do anything different but just kept a very close eye on progress and provided my input into the management of the project when required. To say I am pleased with the end result is an understatement. The orangery is North facing but I really hadn't appreciated how much sun and light the glass roof would let in compared to a traditional North facing extension which would be very dark - it has to be seen to be believed. I would definitely recommend an orangery to anyone who is wavering. Yours is a much bigger project but I hope you are now on top of it and able to enjoy all the work you have put into it. Thanks once again Bob.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but can any of the above posters share any of the things you mentioned to look out for with Crofton HIC? We're looking to get an Orangery built with them and should be signing the paperwork shortly all being well

Thanks!

Hi, we are considering using Crofton Home Improvements Centre for some work, and would really appreciate any feedback or advice anyone has. It seems from comments above there is something to be aware of, please message me if it’s not something that can be posted on here.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi, we are considering using Crofton Home Improvements Centre for some work, and would really appreciate any feedback or advice anyone has. It seems from comments above there is something to be aware of, please message me if it’s not something that can be posted on here.
Thanks!

PM’d

Hi,

Hope you don't mind, but I would also like some info on Crofton Chic in Fareham. I've had a quote from Steve there for an orangery, he was knowledgable and reliable, but I'm concerned with the lack of reviews on them. The computer drawings supplied were fine, but he suggested piling foundation wouldn't be needed. That concerned me as most other builder quotes said I would need it. Any reviews on the work they've had done with them and how the foundation was done too, would be great!

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I am currently going through a nightmare story with Crofton Home Improvement and would appreciate some advice...?
We contracted Crofton around March last year to have a small 3x5m orangery built in the back of the house. Works were supposed to take 10 weeks and their builder started early July. 4 weeks later things started to go really wrong...

We went on a short holiday break and on our return we found out that in the process of demolishing the wall between the new and old buildings and insert a new steel beam to support the back wall Crofton's builder not only had failed to adequately prop wall (which is about 10-12 meters tall) but had also partially removed the corner of the house, causing the whole back of the house to slip down and the brickwork to crack, both externally and internally.
Since then we discovered that they failed to engage with a structural engineer to advise on the sizing and methodology for the new steel beam (we ended up contracting one ourselves), they failed to keep Building Controls on track about the on going works, we had to have the concrete floor that was done by Crofton's builder broke down as the levels were wrong and the sub-base was not properly laid and compacted, we had to contract an independent surveyor to get a report done over the damage caused to our back wall in order to agree to which standards it should be put right, and the issues go on and on.
Every two or three weeks Steve from Crofton comes down to our house for a meeting and tells us how embarrassed he feels about the situation and how much he is willing to put things right... but in reality we are never a priority, builders are never available ("oh, the builder will be with you Thursday next week...") and works are consistently being rescheduled.

I can't see an end to the construction - it's now been almost a year and the situation and state of my house are really dragging me down. I would like to quick Crofton out of the job and get another person to finish construction but am afraid of being accused of breach of contract and end up with massive legal bills...

Has anyone here ever experienced something like this? How can we get out of this trap ?
Thank you in advance for any advice...

Has anyone here ever experienced something like this? How can we get out of this trap ?
they have done work which is not fit for purpose and they havent resolved it within a satisfactory timeframe.

my suggestion is you write to them and say you will get another company in and charge them for the remedial work -you have the right of substitution only if they have been given the opportunity to sort it out, so you could offer them a few more weeks before doing so.

you cant be accused of breach of contract -they are the ones that have done that.

you may have to threaten court action.
and you might need to engage a surveyor as an expert witness to write report.

Sponsored Links
Back