Conservatory base, shoddy work or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum users,

I'm new to the site but read articles here and there. Within the last two months we have been having a conservatory built to the back of our house. One local company is taking care of the complete job, removing existing wall, removing patio, digging of footings, laying concrete base, outside wall and dwarf Walls and a contemporary leanto style conservatory.

Where do I start?? Let's start with the footings, contract says 450mm minimum depth & 1metre maximum. Builder dug down 8inches!! He said he has come to hard ground, this is my lawned back garden!! The conservatory has three sides, between us and the neighbour is a 6ft brick wall with windows on top, 2ft dwarf wall facing into garden and patio doors on the other side where once lived the 6ft brick garden wall.
Would I be right in saying the old footing for this wall that's been pulled down should have been dug out or was it ok for builders to build upon??
Is 8inches deep enough for a footing??

I have pictures of all work that's been carried out so far. Can upload later.

There is so much more but will post separately.
Thanks for reading and hope you can answer my questions of concern.

Darrell

Sponsored Links
Connie base - says it all. :rolleyes:
Thanks for reply but "connie" concrete? Base says it all??

b3d50f91.jpg

712eb821.jpg

I wouldn't build anything other than a small garden wall on that, as said before, its the all too familiar typical rubbish you get with a conservatory.
I would expect that sort of depth for a floor slab prep.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't build anything other than a small garden wall on that, as said before, its the all too familiar typical rubbish you get with a conservatory.
I would expect that sort of depth for a floor slab prep.

Well the floor slab is done and the Walls have been built on those footings.
The complete job is 60% done so a fair wack of money still to b paid, I'm going to show owner of company the many pictures that I've taken to see his response!!
Thanks for your comment.

Conservatorys are not subject to Building Control.
And, if no spec' was discussed prior to contract, there is little enforcement action available to you, other than, as Noseall said, "Conservatory base, says it all", and others have said, "...familiar typical rubbish you get with a conservatory...."

Your only real option, if the builder is meeting his obligations under contract, may be to do it right next time.
It could be an expensive struggle to find a surveyor who is prepared to state categorically that the foundations are unsuitable for purpose.
Privately, most people in the trade may say it.

Edit. Just re-read your post:
Let's start with the footings, contract says 450mm minimum depth & 1metre maximum.
If this is the contract, then you have everything that you need to force then to start over again, or perhaps to walk away unpaid, which is probably less expensive for them.
It is easy to determine the depth of footings, a simple, small excavation will suffice.

Conservatorys are not subject to Building Control.
And, if no spec' was discussed prior to contract, there is little enforcement action available to you, other than, as Noseall said, "Conservatory base, says it all", and others have said, "...familiar typical rubbish you get with a conservatory...."

Your only real option, if the builder is meeting his obligations under contract, may be to do it right next time.
It could be an expensive struggle to find a surveyor who is prepared to state categorically that the foundations are unsuitable for purpose.
Privately, most people in the trade may say it.

Thanks, it does clearly state in the quote and the contract between company and myself that footings to be excavated to a minimum of 450mm & 1meter maximum. When I asked builder he replied I have come to hard ground. I called Conservatory company and spoke with owner, his reply was they won't dig down further if they have come to hard ground. " I have every faith in my builder" I replied I have little faith in them!

Once the weather is better and new yr out the way I will call them in to discuss what I feel is a problem.

You probably don't need anyone to tell you that you should advise your builder asap, that you intend to persue this point so no further work should be done until a resolution is obtained because any work completed so far may need to be demolished.

I don't think it's possible or advisable to try and retain the slab, by attempting to redo only the walls and footings. To my mind, and I'm only a DIYer, the slab is not sufficient, i.e no hardcore, etc.

Some may question why you've left it so late to raise your concerns, if you were aware at an earlier stage, of the inadequate work.

Incidentally, if they're going to take these type of shortcuts/contract-shortfalls at that early stage, when/where next?

I'm not a builder but also not daft, I raised my concerns each time I felt something wasn't being done correctly. The builders and conservatory company head man assured me that everything they doing is fine.

I will be getting them to have a meeting with my wife and I to see what they suggest!!

That's nothing! The fella that occupied my house prior to me constructed a DIY metal conservatory (which is more like a greenhouse than anything) and of course built his own concrete base.

However, he built the concrete base up on top of a patio, laying bricks or slabs and then covering or filling it all in with concrete - then he built the conservatory on top of that. :rolleyes:

ok they dug down and came to hard ground, how the heck do they know if these are any good?

they may only be a few inches thick.

I must say there is hardcore!! 100mm of it and was blinded with..... Wait for it.... Balast, not sand. I'm sure they used balast cause I remember stones in it.. Neither was wacker plated down which again I asked why not.. Their reply was it didn't need to be.. I only started reading about how things should be done once these jobs had been done as I was none the wiser really, and I gyres you have to trust the professionals....

I'm not a builder but also not daft, I raised my concerns each time I felt something wasn't being done correctly. The builders and conservatory company head man assured me that everything they doing is fine.

I will be getting them to have a meeting with my wife and I to see what they suggest!

i've been building conservatories for over 20 years and i can say without a doubt that whoever built the foundations dosen't have a clue what they are doing. The top of the footings should be at least 2 courses of brick below ground level to minimise the possibility of frost heave, i would prefer 4 courses myself. 100mm of hardcore will not be enough and if not compacted it will settle in future and end up with the floor slab cracking. if the hardcore has not been blinded with sand then the dpm will probably be punctured and lead to damp problems. I would give them the opportunity to re build the faulty work or walk away from the site and re-pay all monies payed.

i've been building conservatories for over 20 years and i can say without a doubt that whoever built the foundations dosen't have a clue what they are doing. The top of the footings should be at least 2 courses of brick below ground level to minimise the possibility of frost heave, i would prefer 4 courses myself. 100mm of hardcore will not be enough and if not compacted it will settle in future and end up with the floor slab cracking. if the hardcore has not been blinded with sand then the dpm will probably be punctured and lead to damp problems. I would give them the opportunity to re build the faulty work or walk away from the site and re-pay all monies payed.

Thanks for your comments,

I'm not a builder but only a DIYer so when I ask a question to the builder he reasures me that all is fine, but as I had my doubts I thought maybe let others give there opinions. All opinions seem to be the same. The conservatory is 60% done I guess, so what are my options seeing that the company start work in the morning!!

Posted Sat 1st Jan.
You probably don't need anyone to tell you that you should advise your builder asap, that you intend to persue this point so no further work should be done until a resolution is obtained because any work completed so far may need to be demolished.

Posted Tues 4th Jan
........ I would give them the opportunity to re build the faulty work or walk away from the site and re-pay all monies payed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back