Conservatory Converstion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a hard wood conservatory that is about 20 years old and has seen better days. I would like to replace it with a different kind of structure altogether. The room has never been used properly and is literally a waste of space at the moment.

I would like to remove the conservatory and construct a wooden framed room with a wood cladding or shingle exterior and a light weight roof. I have a fair amount of experience in conventional brick build techniques and methods but I really want to work with wood for this project.

When I originally built the conservatory I was asked by the local authority to install very good, deep foundations. They monitored the built and wouldn't allow me to pour concrete until they were satisfied. I then came up to DPC with brick. Therefore I'm hoping that I can simply re-use these foundations without much more work in that area.

I would really appreciate help or guidance re the self build of such a project. I have seen similar buildings being put up all over the UK recently and wondered where I can find out about best practise and a recognised method to use. I am keen to maintain as much of the inner dimensions as I can though I realise I will lose some internal space due to thicker walls and the need for insulation.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Lozz

Sponsored Links
If you are proposing to replace a conservatory with a single story timber framed extension with cladding and insulation then I would say go ahead.

When I originally built the conservatory I was asked by the local authority to install very good, deep foundations. They monitored the built and wouldn't allow me to pour concrete until they were satisfied.
Why were the LA involved? :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you are proposing to replace a conservatory with a single story timber framed extension with cladding and insulation then I would say go ahead.

Erm...thanks for that, however I was actually asking for help and advice regarding prescribed standards and methods etc ...I'm not really asking for permission or to see if its a good idea :confused:

The LA were involved for several reasons, tow of which - a) the build involved cutting a 2mtr x 2 mtr hole in the gable end wall of the house to give access to the conservatory and b) the ground level of my property is about 1.5 mtr higher than g/l of my neighbours property and the boundary wall is only about 1 mtr from the perimeter of the conservatory.

The LA were involved for several reasons, tow of which - a) the build involved cutting a 2mtr x 2 mtr hole in the gable end wall of the house to give access to the conservatory and b) the ground level of my property is about 1.5 mtr higher than g/l of my neighbours property and the boundary wall is only about 1 mtr from the perimeter of the conservatory.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but you raise an interesting point here regarding LA involvement in conservatories under Building Regs:

1. Opening up the wall was a structural alteration and therefore subject to Building Regs but only so far as the new beam itself was concerned. The fact that the opening needed compliance had no bearing on the applicability or otherwise of the Regs to the conservatory itself (unless you did not put a door in the opening, in which case it would be regarded as a normal extension).

2. Other things being equal, the difference in ground level was also immaterial; as long as the conservatory was < 30 sq. m. in floor area and single-storey, the only regs applying would be Part P (electrical) and the requirement for safety glazing.

Agree with Toby. Unless the connie was of certain size then the structure itself would be b'regs exempt.

Thanks for that (though it doesn't help with my quest!) :)

As it was over 20 years ago and I can't remember how the LA got involved...it might have even been self inflicted.

I used to work for the them (retired as Parks Manager)...and when I won (yes that's right....won) the conservatory in a competition I was at a loss as to where it should go. I seem to remember the firm that ran the competition (went bust almost immediately after I had erected my conservatory) said they would contact the LA planning dep't and even submit plans on behalf of the winner as part of the comp. I only contacted the planners re the hole in the wall and they just kind of stayed with the job. I'm sort of glad they did because I had never done any work of this kind at home before so to have someone acting as a kind of clerk of works/advisor suited me at the time. Though digging 1 mtr + foundations was a bit grim and I was told it was because of the drop in levels between the two properties.

Any chance of some help re timber construction? ;)

Buy a load of 6x2" timber and a big bag of 4" nails and keep it of the ground is my advice and you will need to find some non-combustible cladding or the building inspector will be on your case.

Oh...6x2... well I never... I would never have thought of that...thanks a bunch...so kind. Hope I can be as helpful to you someday..

Why would you come on a public forum ask for help then act like a tool?

I just don't get what you want and behaving like that really isn't going to achieve anything is it?

And his name is tony. Tool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back