conservatory

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question - if building a conservatory can you use breeze block from the foundation level (underground) on both sides or does the outer side have to be brick/engineers brick?

Sponsored Links
I hope I'm reading this right, yes you can use a clinker/light concrete block below ground, some light weight blocks can be used too.

If you want a fair face then brick it is, if rendering then blocks are fine.

you can build a conservatory out of twigs if you wish.

don't know if you will be able to sell the house though.

Ha ha, thanks for the replies. It's just I've noticed that normally people use bricks up to ground level then standard blocks with render for the next 600mm or brick on the outside and block in the inside.

I'm not the greatest at bricking but I do a decent job with blocks so was wondering if there was any issue with blocks as they are porus if used below ground level.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
It's not the porosity, but rather their frost resistance that is the issue.

The area of the wall just up and just below ground level is susceptible to frost & freezing, and so you should use a brick which is resistant to this

If the blocks are rendered or below ground would frost be a problem?

Its the fact that the building material can absorb moisture that can then freeze which causes the problem, so in my eyes porosity and frost resistance are one and the same.

I have seen garden walls built in celcons that have been around for a while with no ill affects, dont thick I would leave them open to the elements tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back