Random questions about a conservatory I own.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have a rental property with an old and slowly deteriorating (wood) conservatory.

Ive had a quote to replace all the wood with pvc and pop on a new roof - £6100

This is out of my budget unfortunately, and seeing as its a rental its not essential to have the conservatory anyway, its just a nice thing to have

So I thinking of perhaps simply removing the wood and replacing it with brick - add a window and a door and it can still be used as a space storage room.

Does anyone have any idea if this would be doable/logical/costly?

Failing that Ill be pulling it down.

Attachments

• IMG_2375.PNG
    IMG_2375.PNG
    995.3 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
Costly but if you have a rental you must be minted so get it done :)

£10,000 to have it knocked down and built again out of brick.

Does anyone have any idea if this would be doable/logical/costly?
Logic would suggest that as soon as a space becomes enclosed and a roof put on, then it will get used for whatever the occupants see fit. In particular, if there is direct access from the habitable dwelling, you can bet your grandma that it will become an extension of such.

If the building is of inferior construction, this usually results in lots of black mould, damp walls, ruined household contents and an irate tenant.

Sponsored Links
I suppose you get a price from a chippie to take out the windows, replace with insulated studwork, rendaboard or cladding to outside, plasterboard inside.

A couple of cheap wooden doors, or upvc.

Ive no idea what that would cost, maybe it could be a bit cheaper.....

Can't tell much from the pic, how bad is the one that's already there? Maybe a bit of TLC would see it good for another 5-10yrs?

Landlords. o_O :rolleyes:

There was one rental property with a rotten window, landlord didn't want to pay for a new one so was asking a joiner about removing window and cladding over, tenant wasn't best pleased with that idea! Who wants daylight anyway.
I the end I bodged with wood harder, filler, paint and a piece of timber, keep both sides quiet for another decade.

Some landlords don't seem to know that flaking external paint is disrepair.

Also, what's there at the start of a tenancy (such as a conservatory or extension) has to be maintained and not just removed because they can't be bothered to be a proper landlord.

The glass isnt toughened, so that should be sorted out at least.

Costly but if you have a rental you must be minted so get it done :)

I wish, This place was left to me, yes thats great but actual money in the bank is non existent at the moment. In 3-5 years things will be a different matter Im sure, but right now, nope.

Can't tell much from the pic, how bad is the one that's already there? Maybe a bit of TLC would see it good for another 5-10yrs?

a lot of the cills are rotten though, some of the windows too. The mold/rot has been painted over multiple times in some sections. The doors are also sticking, they need to be kicked to open them. I did plain them down last year but the problem persists. The disrepair of the place is because my mum used to own it and in her old age gave up caring about it.

Some landlords don't seem to know that flaking external paint is disrepair.

Also, what's there at the start of a tenancy (such as a conservatory or extension) has to be maintained and not just removed because they can't be bothered to be a proper landlord.

The place is currently empty.

The glass isnt toughened, so that should be sorted out at least.

ah - I had not considerd that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back