conservatory double glazing roof smear marks / fingerprints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

hoping someone could advise...we have had a company install a brand new conservatory with a tinted blue self cleaning glass roof.

we have noticed smear marks and finger print marks on some of the glasses, however they are inside the glass and not on the outside. The company mentioned something about a rule standing 2m away and looking through without issue means there are fine...but to me I can see fingerprint marks or small smears around the edges of the pane. Does anyone know what i can do if anything here?

Sponsored Links
That is a GGF guideline correct but I believe it only applies to scratches or marks left during the floating process, nothing to do with fingerprints and smears which are the DGU suppliers responsibility to get as clean as possible, you could even argue if they saw a scratch before assembly then they should reject it right there and not assemble the unit and use the GGF guideline as a get out clause

Thank you for responding...some look like finger marks some I'm not sure on...see attached pictures..does that look like it could be accepted? And does the company have to be registered to GGF for this rule to stand? They are fensa registered.

Thank you

Attachments

• D759C2AB-4945-4A33-AC08-4D83380A4EC5.jpeg
    D759C2AB-4945-4A33-AC08-4D83380A4EC5.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 548
  • 398E422E-E327-41CF-8CF7-F166BEC61411.jpeg
    398E422E-E327-41CF-8CF7-F166BEC61411.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 483
  • DD462670-7518-4D32-B65C-A04B0F222488.jpeg
    DD462670-7518-4D32-B65C-A04B0F222488.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 535
Hi All,

hoping someone could advise...we have had a company install a brand new conservatory with a tinted blue self cleaning glass roof.

we have noticed smear marks and finger print marks on some of the glasses, however they are inside the glass and not on the outside. The company mentioned something about a rule standing 2m away and looking through without issue means there are fine...but to me I can see fingerprint marks or small smears around the edges of the pane. Does anyone know what i can do if anything here?

Does it have soft coat low e?

Soft coat is easily damaged and has a very limited shelf life. If it is assembled into a unit without damage then the coating is fine forever.

Sponsored Links
Yes it could be the soft coat damaged to the inner pane, could also be the self cleaning damaged too, the outer self clean side should have come with a protective plastic film to be peeled off last thing or they should of worn gloves, either way outside inside or in the cavity thats a poor show.

I'd also question them if they are GGF members, if not they shouldn't really rely on what the GGF say, if you rang the GGF for guidance the first thing they'd ask is the installer a member

Fensa won't do anything as they only police building regs not workmanship

Yes it could be the soft coat damaged to the inner pane, could also be the self cleaning damaged too, the outer self clean side should have come with a protective plastic film to be peeled off last thing or they should of worn gloves, either way outside inside or in the cavity thats a poor show.

I'd also question them if they are GGF members, if not they shouldn't really rely on what the GGF say, if you rang the GGF for guidance the first thing they'd ask is the installer a member

Fensa won't do anything as they only police building regs not workmanship

Sorry I know nothing about this stuff, but will call GGF to see if they are registered with them. If not and they can't remove the smears I will hope they replace them. It's not always visible, only at certain angles...but now we know they are there we just keep seeing it. They are replacing one of the panes with the finger marks, but since I showed them the other 5 panes with similar issues they quoted the 2meters away and looking through get out.
But it doesn't look like a floating process cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back