Smearing on windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just finished a new-build and installed a well known make of timber windows with double glazing. But we appear to have two problems.

1. On certain mornings the windows are misted up. Primarily in the middle of the panes but sometimes extending to 90% of the glass.

2. Mrs. Scooby is fastidious about having everywhere clean but even after cleaning the inside of the windows there are smear marks on the glass and try as she might she gets one lot off only to find that others have appeared.

Is it possible that some manufacturers use some kind of inferior glass or have we got a strange set of circumstances ?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
White vinegar is the preferred cleaner for window to leave smear free.
Windows mist in morning, quite normal.

Thanks for that FH but we have never had quite the condensation problem before on other houses that we have owned with double glazing. Admittedly previous double glazing as always been PVC and these are timber windows.

If the smearing persists, try Autoglym car glass cleaner......the paste form as against the liquid Fast Glass.
A brilliant product I found, after some clot head smeared silicone finger prints all over my panes!
John :)

Sponsored Links
is the new build still drying out? hence the condensation?

i use something like nilglas to clean my car windows.

is the new build still drying out? hence the condensation?

i use something like nilglas to clean my car windows.

I would have thought it had dried out by now. We moved in 3 years ago. Block & beam floors with underfloor heating and a log burner just to make sure. Plus the fact that we built it North to South and have lots of glass on the South side. But I must admit that it is something I hadn't thought about. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back