Conservatory electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
Just thought i'd run a few things past our resident experts, goes as follows.
New conservatory to the rear of my house but needs electrics, so my sons mate has just completed college to become an electrician (well last year some time) has offered to do all the work on the cheap including testing and certification so as he can use the job for his part p joining assessment later in the year.
I've got to do the notification to the council (£75.00) he's given me a list as follows with a cost of £450.
24 meters of 10mm swa to go from fuse box at the front of the house to the conservatory with a new fuse box just for conservatory electrics.
Some 2.5mm for a ringmain 5x sockets + 1x heater + fused spur with neon for heater + metal back box's
Some 1.5mm for some wall lights x 4 and a fan.
He's going to take the feed from a spare breaker on the house fuse box via the swa to a new small fuse box in the conservatory and fix the swa along the bottom of the house wall to the conservatory.
Does all the above sound ok ?
Fencing is my game (and not as dangerous as electrics hence the question) I don't want to say no just because he's straight out of college (we all need to start some where)so if an expert eye could be cast I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Your mate sounds like he knows what he is doing - It is always better practice to provide more points of isolation (the new consumer unit) as this reduces inconvenience in the event of a fault - you don't have to walk all the way to the other CU if you have a faulty item in the conservatory!

The price is also very reasonable and as long as you trust him and he is qualified as you say then nothing sounds wrong with this - informing the council is the legitimate way to carry things out and as long as his workmanship is good then his Part-P assessor should be pleased with this circuit arrangement!

i suspect he is using SWA so he can route it a way you shouldn't really run T&E (nothing wrong with that ofc its why they make swa)

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone I've given him the nod to do the work, as for rcd protecting the sockets he has said he was planning on using a rcbo in the new fuse box.
Once again thanks for taking a look.

And that he upgrades the main eq bonding at the same time....

A CU is difficult to hide in a conservatory....

I recently did one in a cottage with no easy means of getting power. I ran a 4mm SWA from a 32amp MCB in the original CU, cleated outside to conservatory. I then terminated this into the first socket, and ran 4mm T+E around inside conservatory for the sockets. I also ran this past an unswitched FCU at low level which fed the 2 wall lights and center light via 2 gang light switch. This conservatory also had a panel heater fed fia sw-fused spur on the same cct.

I would go this route if it was me, although a second CU and sub-main is fine. I wonder how he will neatly terminate the SWA at either end??

I had one a few weeks ago from front of property to rear into a new 5 way c/u within a conservatory total run of swa was 38 meters. Terminated either end of swa into metal adaptable box's with glands prior to entering insulated c/u's.
1x 4mm radial for sockets on 32A 30mA rcbo.
1x 2.5mm radial for heater.
1x 1.5mm circuit for 2x wall lights + 1x centre fan + bulkhead in alleyway on a pir.
2x spare ways for future use (he wants sockets down the garden on a decked area).
The home owner had been advised by the conservatory people that a seperate c/u for the conservatory was the way to go but he refused to pay the £1300 or so they wanted, so I got the job instead.....nice one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back