conservatory floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone suggest the best way to fit a raised floor in a conservatory. have just had one built and at present there is a drop to the concrete floor or one brick down out of the old patio doors. i would prefer it so that the floor is just below the wooden frame of the patio doors. does that make sense. if there is not an easy way can i just lay laminate flooring straight on top of the concrete.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I suggest 8'x4' expanded poystyrene sheets, available in 25mm,30mm,40mm to suit the depth. 8'x2' T&G moisture resistant chipboard on top, glued on all edges wedged from perimeter wall while glue sets then remove wedges to leave expansion gap. The joints in the polystyrene should be staggered so they don't line-up with the chipboard joints. Floor covering of your choice; carpet, laminate floor etc. You will have to do something about the threshold step from conservatory to garden.

cheers mate that what i was thinking of doing a friend suggested that, theres no step out as when the builder has relayed the flags he has raised tje whole area up so when you step out your straight onto flags if that makes sense

Following on from this question. My father in law also wants to raise the floor in his conservatory for the same reason as PSalliss, but also because the tiles currently laid get really cold and sometimes quite damp due to condensation. Is it OK to lay the polystyrene sheets over the tiles or do they have to be removed first?..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
can you suggest any online diy suppliers that sell these items

I can't think of a reason not to fit insulation above tiles as long as the floor is flat within 5mm/3m.
Insulation and T&G chipboard is available from any builders merchant such as Travis Perkins etc.

just saw an advert on tv and floors 2 go are apparantly doing a special offer of £50 for a room, and the size its should cover it think was 9 square metres and the conservatory is 7.8 so will cover easily. is that a good price or will they be a bit crappy

Fitted for £50 sounds ok. I've got a Wickes book in front of me and a 8'x2' T&G moisture resistant chipboard panel is £4.72. Don't know price of insulation.

not fitted £50 for 4 packs, fitting kit and underlay. going to have a look on staurday but im struggling to find somewhere that sells the foam blocks that im wanting

If you're after the polystyrene sheets that were mentioned by Murraysnudge, these are available from builder's merchants (e.g. Travis Perkins)

cheers ian, shall try that as b and q and focus dont do them. dont suppose ouve any idea how much they cost do you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back