conservatory floor

dun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a conservatory floor where base is concrete,then wood batons topped with wooden boarding.This is now rotting due to damp/condensation.I'm thinking of removing all wood,then laying 1/2 inch of sharp sand and bedding flagstones onto this.Is this a sensible move?

Sponsored Links
Umm, this solution doesn't adress the damp problem though, it sounds like the flooring needs to be changed, but in conjunction with this, the damp problem needs to be investigated / fixed.

so how about it i lay a plastic membrane over the concrete prior to using sand & flagstones?

This depends on whether it is damp or condensation, did the original concrete base not have a DPM incorporated in it. What is the construction of the conservatory, dwarf wall, if so does this have a DPC incorporated ?

Sponsored Links
Idon't think it incorporateas a DPM.

The conservatory is aluminium and glass,I think there is one row of bricks at base.

Sounds like the base not done correctly, the only way round it, is to put down bitumen base as they do in ponds etc. This again is cutting corners without having to re-do the base.

I have to agree with masona, esp due to the fact he is either a) a professional or b) a lot better at DIY than I am :LOL: You have to identify where the damp is coming from first if you have any chance of solving the problem. If there is no DPM in the base then yes somehow you have to provide one. The fact that there is only one brick course before the windows leaves a bit of concern, is there a DPC in this brickwork?

Actually, thinking about it I know masona is a professional. Silly me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back