Conservatory floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm planning to take up the flooring in my brothers conservatory as there is no insulation below. He currently had laminate 9mm, underlay 2mm then 18mms chipboard. He would like a bit more clearance below his door so can anyone recommend a decorative flooring like laminate that could be fixed to the joists which requires no maintenance.

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
I assume that as you've only 13mm above the chipboard, that you're intending to take up the chipboard, fit the insulation, and then refit something to the joists so that you've increased the clearance under the door. Taking the laminate off will warm things in the first place, and you could look to fit T&G wood or something similar to the joists, and then varnish them.

Yes pal your assumptions are correct. That is the plan but he doesn't want to have to keep treating the floor so was looking for alternatives for him. I suggested hardwood flooring but like I said he doesn't want to have to maintain it so looking for something along the lines of laminate that I could fix directly to the joists.

Laminate floors always float, so no good there I'm afraid. What sort of treatment does he think he needs to do to a wooden floor though.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I get you about the laminate but wondered if there was a similar product to fix to joists.
Just the obvious one of sanding and varnishing every time it gets scratched.

A laminate floor will get scratched and damaged just as easily as a wooden floor will, but with laminate, you have to remove the whole floor. A real hard wood floor is a lot harder, and can sometimes be polished locally rather than the whole floor. He can't have everything I'm afraid, and a wooden floor will be much warmer than a laminate floor. You can insulate under the laminate, and you'll still find the floors cold, and the room taakes longer to heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back