Conservatory glass panels with water in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,I've noticed after the recent snow that a couple of my double glazed panels have filled up with a small amount of water.One looks like a miniature inbuilt fish tank!!

What would be be best way to resolve this and stop it happening again?I don't really want to replace as they look expensive.If there is a way to seal or repair that would be great.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
Double glazing is made by glueing the two sheets of glass together with a rubber spacer around their edge. Just inboard of the edge seal is a strip of perforated aluminium which has dehydrator crystal behind it. So shortly after manufacture, the crystals will have removed all the water out of the enclosed air (or gas).
The problem comes when after a cold night, the hot morning sun heats up and expands the outer sheet of glass. This then breaks the seal between the rubber and the glass. When the next cold night comes the window cavity air contracts and sucks in some more damp air. This goes on for some time until the crystals are totally waterlogged, then the moisture starts appearing in the cavity.
So to fix the problem, the pane must be taken apart and new crystals fitted and seals glued on. Not a DIY job!! there are firms that will repair the panes for you. Its a big job, because to remove the glass the external mouldings have to be removed and to get to these the finial might have to be removed. And while all this is going on, the pane area should be weather sealed.
Frank

I have to say that I'm getting fed up of finding double glazed units whose seals have failed.

I just wonder whether secondary double glazing might be a better idea, on the grounds that it must be far easier to remove the inner pane and clear any condensation. I don't know whether it would be possible to pour in some dessicating crystals prior to fitting but, if so, it would also be easy to replace them or dry them out.

Once the seal has gone on a double glazed unit it needs to be replaced. Dont believe the company's that claim to be able to repair them its just a bodge.

The units themselves are pretty cheap really though your decorative Georgian bars will probably triple the cost, It would probably be cheaper to replace both those units with clear glass (if one has gone the other is probably not far away

The cost price on those units (direct from a factory and plain) would be about £35 each. Fitting them is easy, The tricky part is the measuring.

Take some photos and rough sizes to some local glazing places for a quote. If it looks a bit expensive put a post in the windows and doors section and we can talk you through measuring and fitting them yourself.

Sponsored Links
Secondary double glazing no good, then?
I fail to see how your first post is in anyway helpful to the OP. Will secondary glazing miraculously remove the moisture from his failed DG units? No, thought not. Go back to the GD section from where you crawled.

I have to say that I'm getting fed up of finding double glazed units whose seals have failed.

I just wonder whether secondary double glazing might be a better idea, on the grounds that it must be far easier to remove the inner pane and clear any condensation. I don't know whether it would be possible to pour in some dessicating crystals prior to fitting but, if so, it would also be easy to replace them or dry them out.
my double glazing is over 20 years old no misting no problems what so ever
i got it from horizon windows near littlehampton

Some units just fail, Its random.

It could be an air bubble in the sealer, Poor workmanship, A dodgy batch of sealer, Desiccant that has gone off, Climate conditions where the unit was made or manufactured or even just the fitting of the unit (no packers underneath).

I have seen units that are still good after 35 years and I have seen them fail within a month. If the people who fitted it are still around you will in theory have a 10 year guarantee.
Its amazing really, How many products do you know of that you can buy for £10-100 (average unit price) that have a 10 year guarantee? You are lucky to get 2 years on a £50k car!

The PVC windows in my house were fitted 19 years ago, I haven't had a single problem or blown unit yet, If its made well and fitted well I would say the average lifespan is around 25 years.

I fail to see how your first post is in anyway helpful to the OP. Will secondary glazing miraculously remove the moisture from his failed DG units? No, thought not. Go back to the GD section from where you crawled.

You are a charming gentleman, aren't you?

If it is of any help, I was asking generally and not referring to the OP's problems.

Perhaps someone a little more polite (and I know there are such people here) might answer my question. I would genuinely like to know what the drawbacks of secondary DG are, if any.

will never give you the benefits off sealed replacement glazing
if your windows are very draughty the secondary glazing can be great as can draught excluder or even new windows
with secondary glazing you have a window you cant open or a more expensive openable system if needed for ventilation
secondary has no trickle vents d/g does
the panels off glazing need to be stored somewhere in the summer with risk off breaking
you need to continue to maintain your old window as well as the points above

a new d/g window will give far better heat saving compared to secondary as the units are sealed
with secondary you have 3 surfaces to remove condensation from compared to 1 or none on d/g
on secondary you have 4 surfaces to clean over 2 on d/g
secondary glazing at best looks ok at worst ------sore thumb :eek:

Thanks for your help and advice, BA. :D

Actually, my DG (or frames) doesn't have any trickle vents, but I take your point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back