Conservatory payment options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a quote for a new conservatory of £10000. The builder has asked that we pay 20% up front, with another £4000 to be paid once the base is built. The remainder is to be paid once the project is totally completed.

Is this standard practise?

Sponsored Links
It's fairly common to ask for 20%, I always try for a max of 10% on all the work I'm having done but most wont accept this nowadays. It's also common to ask for the money for the base just after it's been laidas most conservatory companies use a self employed groundworks gang & they will want paying as soon as they are finished, otherwise the consrvatory company will have to use their own money; £4k seems a bit steep on a £10 conservatory though; I only paid £3k on a £15k one! Don't pay the ballance until all the snagging is done & your happy with it & I hope youve got an independant, 10 year guarantee as FENSA don't cover conservatories!

OK thanks. I expect you are right, as I know it is a different builder who is doing the base.

I might try and negociate the terms of payment in that case.

How big is the conservatory? 4K does seem a bit steep.
We used to employ the services of a self employed bricky and we never paid over 2K for a base and dwarf wall.

It may be a better option to get seperate quotes from a local bricky and then have the window company fit the conservatory onto that base afterwards. They've probably got a stupid mark-up on their brickwork costs.

There are companies that wont charge a penny for work until it is finished and the customer is completely happy. We dont charge until the work is complete but then again, we dont offer finance deals and we ask for full payment on completion. Wouldn't a loan from the bank be cheaper than finance anyway?

Sponsored Links
Hi .your quote is a bit steep ,10 k ,get at least 3 quotes. Conservatory companies know thier product better than builders aswell.

I forgot to mention, the £9700 includes not only the 3mx3.8m conservatory, but also 3 new uPVC windows and a back door on the house. So, the 4k payment also pays for window fitters too, as well as the conservatory base build.

We had lots of quotes, and this was the cheapest. Most were in fact coming to 13k

Cheers

jimbobfruitbat said:
I forgot to mention, the £9700 includes not only the 3mx3.8m conservatory, but also 3 new uPVC windows and a back door on the house. So, the 4k payment also pays for window fitters too, as well as the conservatory base build.

We had lots of quotes, and this was the cheapest. Most were in fact coming to 13k

Cheers
Assuming your company is FENSA registered make sure you get the certificate for the new windows & the door (FENSA don't cover conservatories). Replacement windows are notifyable & if he's not FENSA then you will have to get BC to certify them; you will need to produce a bit of paper from one or the other when you come to sell!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back