Conservatory questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, We are thinking about a conservatory/orangery but I am worried about the heat in summer ànd cold in winter, I was thinking about a glass roof with the blue tint. Is the new glass really as good as you get told? Does it help keep the heart out and in at the different times of the year? Should we go for a solid roof with a couple of velux?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are heating it from your main heating source, a tiled roof with veluxes may be your only option to comply with building regs. It does depend. It is possible to calculate the heat loss difference, with and without the glass roof, and compensate for it elsewhere, but in practice this can be very difficult to achieve. Regarding low heat loss glazing; modern glazing is better than the old stuff but it's nowhere near an insulated tiled roof.

Sponsored Links
I had a conservatory with a glass roof, 28mm k-glass. It was dreadful in terms of being too hot or too cold. Knocked it down and made a sun-room with two large veluxes. Much much better. I still don't have any heating in there but it seems to not get too hot, and holds on to the heat that it leaches from the house much better.

I wouldn't bother with a conservatory again. I expect the concept will go out of date given how relaxed permitted development is now, and environmental pressure to reduce energy/heating waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back