Conservatory rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are upgrading of conservatory so we can use it all year round. We have had a plumber round to look at putting a rad in there but due to our heating system using micro bore pipe he has recommended us not to. So we are looking for ideas for electric rads as there does appear to be quite a lot of choice.What the best make/most economical to run.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
As above, a split-unit heat pump is your best option - heat in Winter and cooling in Summer, all off one unit. Building Regs no longer permit radiators in conservatories, haven't done for about 8 years

Sponsored Links
As above, a split-unit heat pump is your best option - heat in Winter and cooling in Summer, all off one unit. Building Regs no longer permit radiators in conservatories, haven't done for about 8 years

They do with a TRV.

I had this argument with a private Building control company who wanted me to do a SAPS test on an orangery. However I managed to find online building control guidance note that specifically stated TRVs should be allowed.

https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default/files/labc_4893_techg_conservatories.pdf

Well as we can’t fit a rad from the house heating I assume we are not breaking any rules . Was just looking for recommendations of makes and models of electric rads to fit that people have fitted and work well.

Rads can be installed in conservatories and be connected to the existing system provided they have independent control. ( evohome comes in handy)

Well as we can’t fit a rad from the house heating I assume we are not breaking any rules . Was just looking for recommendations of makes and models of electric rads to fit that people have fitted and work well.
One electric rad is much the same as another. They're all expensive to run. You'd be much better off with a split-unit heat pump.

Our previous house had a large radiator connected to the main central heating (as others have said this isn’t allowed really but loads do it and it was in before we moved in). My experience of that was it was a waste of time, impossible to balance conservatory with rest of house and when the radiators were off, it was freezing - did not use for about 5 months of the year.

Our current house had no rad, I first tried to use an oil radiator, this was also useless, just not powerful enough (certainly with only 1) to heat 4x3.5 conservatory. I then tried a convector heater:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-402tsti-freestanding-convector-heater-2000w/2840h

although the version I got was wall mounted. This is the best thing I’ve done, set the thermostat to the right temperature and within 5 minutes the conservatory is warm and stays spot on. We used this all last winter (it’s mainly used as a kids play room) - basically can use all year round now.

The consensus is that these are expensive to run, my own experience is that this year our gas/electric bill has gone up £7 per month, but this also includes an increase in rates, I’ve not done any detailed analysis on exact impact. I guess ‘expensive’ is relative to you, I’d be happy to pay £7 per month to heat it if it means it can be used all year round and is not just a wasted room.

We use a Dimplex 3kw convector heater with turbo fan in our conservatory, which was installed 11 years ago.

Whilst it came free standing; it has the option for the feet to be removed and wall mounted, which is what I have done. I have also connected it to a wireless programmable room thermostat (one that is suitably rated for electric heating. Not all are) this gives complete time / temperature control for just the conservatory, that is totally independent from the house heating. [LABC building inspector insisted on this] It also allows us to heat just the conservatory on a chilly summer evening, when the central heating isn't on.

The heater can be set to give 1, 2, or 3 kw of heat, and being a convector heater, if we go in when the conservatory hasn't been heated for a few days, and put it on the maximum setting it warms up the conservatory in minutes. [radiators have a slower warm up time] about 20 minutes will probably get it from 8 degrees up to 21. Our conservatory is quite small though, just big enough for 4 armchairs and a small table.

The advantage of the Turbo Fan is that it makes you feel instantly warm as it circulates warm air immediately it is switched on.

Once the conservatory has warmed up, we usually switch it down to the lowest convection only setting without the fan, and the room thermostat switches it on and off to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Whilst our conservatory is used daily in the summer, we only use it occasionally during the winter, if we were to use the conservatory more frequently in the winter, I would definitely go for a heat pump though, because the running costs are significantly less. But for us at the moment, the convector is more practical.

Regarding the running cost of standard heaters, that will depend upon the size of the heater, and how long it is left on for. All electric heaters cost the same to run based on their kW size. So a 1 kW heater will cost the same to run regardless of who makes it. A 2 kW heater will cost twice as much to run as a 1 kW but will emit twice the heat. Remember though that there is usually thermostatic control, so even if you have a 2 kW heater and because of the thermostat, is only actually on for half the time of a 1 kW, the running cost would be the same.

The exception is a heat pump, which because of the way that it works can produce much more heat than the power it consumes in doing so.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back