Conservatory rebuild, who to ask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long time reader, great community. First time poster.

I had been getting window companies round to look at getting new windows and conservatory glass roof to replace the ageing current set (polycarbonate roof). But window companies have spotted a possible problem with my existing conservatory with slight possible subsidence in one corner. The subsidence is probably due to gutter discharge into the clay soil.

Digging a bit of ground revealed the foundation wall to be only 30cm!! Apparently not deep enough to support the glass roof I'm hoping to upgrade to.

My plan is as follow:
- Remove all current window and roof on conservatory
- Rebuild the walls to sufficient depth for the foundations
- Re-route all gutter to the existing drainage, no discharge into soil
- Then install windows and roof

Last 2 steps are for the window company. What trades person to ask for the first 2 steps?

The window companies I talked to are not very interested in working on the conservatory. They'd rather just replace the window or have professional under-pin company to deal with this. My insurance company will only install a water butt and minor repair existing birckwork, still can't install new roof on top of this. I'm planning to take the money and put it towards rebuild. So I need some trades person near N London able to do rebuild the conservatory walls to sufficient depth.

Side question: Does the conservatory floor also need re-doing? Is it possible to only rebuild the walls by knocking them down and digging deeper without touching much of the floor? The laminated floor goes from living room to conservatory without a metal strip, I quite like this.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to remove the walls, dig a deeper foundation, replace the walls and get a new roof, .... maybe it would be easier to demolish and build something that meets current standards, and is exactly as you want it? Maybe, replace with an extension with nice bifold doors and a lantern roof to get plenty of light, but also be well insulated for winter usage? I'm sure you can find somebody to re-do the laminate floor nicely.

Thanks for your reply. I'm happy with the conservatory as it is in terms of shape and size.

Not happy with super hot summer and cold winter, also the stuck window and catching doors. All of which can be solved by new glass roof and window/doors. But the foundation need to be deeper to support the new glass roof.

Hence thinking cheapest way would be re-do the walls to support the added weight...........

How will a glass roof solve the hot summer / cold winter issue? I'm sure it will be better than a polycarb roof, but it will still be hot, or cold, surely?

Sponsored Links
I think you'll be disappointed. My glass roof conservatory (28mm low-e) was still like a greenhouse in the summer and freezing in the winter. Another more cost effective option is an orangery approach - a few brick pillars and windows to form the walls, then a pitched roof with a couple of Velux windows.

Well, on the one hand, we would like to solve this subsidence issue properly: deeper foundation, re-routed gutter.
On the other hand, we don't want to just throw money at the problem. (under-pin? or completely rebuild?)

Initially, the roof and windows were the goal. But now, it's solving the subsidence issue. Emptying water butt is not a permanent solution. That means having gutter re-routed. The polycarbonate roof is falling apart anyway, so a new roof is needed.

Just read a comment on another forum - suggested that you should check the foundations on the rest of the house before underpinning, because if the foundations were piled, then just underpinning wont help. Similar discussion here. .. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5068571 - opinions similar to here too!

Thanks for that link. I am certainly not thinking about underpinning, I think it could be cheaper to re-do the walls. I am thinking along the line of the replies on that thread: rebuild.

There are absolutely no problem with rest of the house. As said earlier, foundation of the conservatory is found to be insufficient.

Who do I ask about this kind of thing? I'm thinking a company that has structural engineer to say what needs rebuilding, and a builder to do the rebuild brickwork. What do I search in the yellow pages? Structural engineer? Or a standard builder? Or conservatory company?

Ah, by rebuild the walls, you mean, build smaller walls that the 30cm foundation can carry?
I think before getting any builder, carpenter or glazier to stat work, you should get a structural engineer to investigate. As mentioned, glass is heavy, especially the modern solar efficient stuff, so you need to be sure that the current conservatory will hold it all up.
But, if it has already sunk a bit .... surely, fix that first, even if that means underpinning just the corner where subsidence has happened?

Sorry, that wasn't clear.

Re-dig the foundation for the walls to sufficient depth. Rebuilding the wall won't solve the fundamental problem.

So first port of call is a structural engineer? What can I get out of a structural enginner? A detailed plan on to fix things?

Then I ask a builder to carry out the work as specified by the plan? Is there a type of combined company that takes care of the two talking to eachother and ensure work is done correctly?

It would probably be cheaper to find a local builder and ask them to make it good. But, how will you know if what they have done is good enough? If you start asking for warranties and guaranties for their work, then they may back off. By getting it looked at first by somebody who is fully qualified and insured to give advice, you protect yourself. In theory, if their plans still fail, you have some comeback. Then get a good builder to follow the plan to a T.

You've had a shoddy job done once - no conservatory should start falling down - imagine if they had built a 2 storey extension! Get it right this time. By time you carefully removed windows and doors, had the foundations checked, underpinned, walls built to suit foundations, calcs done to make sure the heavier glass roof can still be supported by the existing frame, and ordered all that expensive solar glass, you might find that there are cheaper options ......

Just found these on Google - http://www.urbandesignbuild.co.uk/about-urban-design-build-north-london-builders/
"No Obligation FREE Consultation" and "With Urban Design Build, you can expect a highly professional job – one that is fully compliant with all current building regulations. All of our work comes with a 5-year guarantee and is fully insured. But more than this, the work we do is effective, efficient, of the highest quality, and completely sympathetic to your home as your personal living space." and "we bring together trusted architects, structural engineers and interior designers"

Might be costly, but free consultation and hopefully a realistic quote for the work - and a lot less hassle and worry....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back