Can they really put more brick on my dwarf wall conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been given a quote for a conservatory revive.

It only has shallow foundations. Its currently dwarf wall and glass all around.

They said they can build brick pillars and put less windows in aslong as i get the lightweight roof.

Are shallow foundations enough to support high brick walls? Is it the roof that is the only issue for weight reasons?

Sponsored Links
What are "shadow foundations"?

Anyway, width, type, ground condition and the actual details of the wall are factors along with the depth.

The builder's assertion regarding the windows, piers and roof is fundamentally flawed. It may well be possible, but they are talking shiite with no facts to back up their statement.

What are "shadow foundations"?

Anyway, width, type, ground condition and the actual details of the wall are factors along with the depth.

The builder's assertion regarding the windows, piers and roof is fundamentally flawed. It may well be possible, but they are talking shiite with no facts to back up their statement.
First of all at what point did i say 'shadow' foundations?

Also, how do you know they are talking ****e with nothing to back up his statement? I didnt probe into it as he seemed to know what he was talking about i was just suprised you could do that as most people who get a lightweight roof tend to stick with all glass all the way round and i wasent sure if that was a choice or they had to.

i was just suprised you could do that
First, it's not suprising how many people who criticise a spelling mistake actually make a spelling mistake in their response.

Shall I also "suprise" you with how many conservatories I've seen moving downwards and sideways?

Or how many builders I've met who have said, "Yeah it will be OK if you let us do 'x' and pay us 'y'. "

So, what are shadow foundations?

Sponsored Links
First, it's not suprising how many people who criticise a spelling mistake actually make a spelling mistake in their response.

Shall I also "suprise" you with how many conservatories I've seen moving downwards and sideways?

Or how many builders I've met who have said, "Yeah it will be OK if you let us do 'x' and pay us 'y'. "

So, what are shadow foundations?
What on earth are you on about you arrogant twit?

Ive been given a quote for a conservatory revive.

It only has shallow foundations.
95% of connie foundations are tat. Woody's right to be suspicious, so should you. There's a saying that goes 'don't put lipstick on a pig, or... 'don't polish a turd'. I would run a mile from any 'shed' that has shallow foundations. The fact that your connie revivers (lol) are dead keen, should send a warning.

95% of connie foundations are tat. Woody's right to be suspicious, so should you. There's a saying that goes 'don't put lipstick on a pig, or... 'don't polish a turd'. I would run a mile from any 'shed' that has shallow foundations. The fact that your connie revivers (lol) are dead keen, should send a warning.
This forum is dreadful, im not in the trade im not clued up on things, the company im getting a quote for get a lot of good feedback, very long waiting list, tons of pictures of work on their facebook, they dont seem like cowboys.

But for peace of mind i purely made this post to ask if its actually possibly to change windows for bricks on conservatories with shallow foundations, as long as you use a lightweight roof, purely asking for advice but all ive got back is pure arrogance and smugness.

This forum is dreadful, im not in the trade im not clued up on things, the company im getting a quote for get a lot of good feedback, very long waiting list, tons of pictures of work on their facebook, they dont seem like cowboys.

But for peace of mind i purely made this post to ask if its actually possibly to change windows for bricks on conservatories with shallow foundations, as long as you use a lightweight roof, purely asking for advice but all ive got back is pure arrogance and smugness.
Connies are and have been, largely BC exempt. Couple this with the fact that those that sell the connies, allow very little in terms of percentage cost for the base and what you end up with is a load of tat or a glorified shed. We are knocking them down by the dozen (mine included) and building proper extensions, because they are also thermally useless in the UK.

At least mine had decent foundations.(y)

I see what happened. You said "shallow", he asked about "shadow" by mistake, you asked what he meant, he had a tantrum because he thought you were taking the pee, you threw your toys out of the pram. A simple mistake caused a ripple of stupidity.

Back on-topic, personally I'd say it would be a stupid idea. But it doesn't actually matter how deep the foundation is, what really matters it what it's sitting on. If it's black topsoil then not a good idea. If clay, rock or sand then possibly OK, if it's deep enough to be away from frost.

Has the salesman actually dug a hole to find out how shallow and/or what it's sitting on? If not then he's a cowboy and is just hoping for the best and is happy it will at least look good until the cheque clears and won't care if it cracks apart after.

I'd say that noseall's job, presumably using lightweight block, is a gamble. I find that others get away with it, I usually don't so I go overboard instead.

Have you considered other options? E.g. timber frame with panelling.

How recent is the conservatory? Does it have planning permission?

when we had ours erected (all wood one) we had to have foundations to the same depth as the rest of the house, if deeper as standards had changed.

How recent is the conservatory? Does it have planning permission?

when we had ours erected (all wood one) we had to have foundations to the same depth as the rest of the house, if deeper as standards had changed.
I doubt PP has any relevance to this particular query.

I suppose PP requires checking it's to building regs, but it could have been built to an adequate standard without PP and/or without BR checking it or even being aware of its existence.

I see what happened. You said "shallow", he asked about "shadow" by mistake, you asked what he meant, he had a tantrum because he thought you were taking the pee, you threw your toys out of the pram. A simple mistake caused a ripple of stupidity.

Back on-topic, personally I'd say it would be a stupid idea. But it doesn't actually matter how deep the foundation is, what really matters it what it's sitting on. If it's black topsoil then not a good idea. If clay, rock or sand then possibly OK, if it's deep enough to be away from frost.

Has the salesman actually dug a hole to find out how shallow and/or what it's sitting on? If not then he's a cowboy and is just hoping for the best and is happy it will at least look good until the cheque clears and won't care if it cracks apart after.

I'd say that noseall's job, presumably using lightweight block, is a gamble. I find that others get away with it, I usually don't so I go overboard instead.

Have you considered other options? E.g. timber frame with panelling.
Yes he dug a hole, cant remember how deep they are but only a few blocks deep.

Its on clay soil, like i say he is adding more brick BUT using a lightweight wood + plastic tiled roof rather than a proper slate roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back