Can they really put more brick on my dwarf wall conservatory?

Clay soil or clay? If it's black-brown with worms and organic matter then not. If it looks like you could make a brick out of it then probably OK.

It's a gamble, however persuading the salesman is. Presumably they're not giving a 10 year warranty on it.

Sponsored Links
Clay soil or clay? If it's black-brown with worms and organic matter then not. If it looks like you could make a brick out of it then probably OK.

It's a gamble, however persuading the salesman is. Presumably they're not giving a 10 year warranty on it.
My garden is constantly waterlogged, its very thick clay soil.

It doesn't matter how free-draining it is, if it has any organic matter in (dark coloured stuff), then it's alive and moving. E.g. there are microscopic bits of plant and poo that are decomposing and shrinking, water and air voids, worms are tunneling through it etc.

You can only safely build on soil that doesn't have biology in it, i.e. anything lighter coloured. You normally dig down around a metre to find this. It's no firmer than topsoil, the point is that it's dead so not moving anywhere. Also it's undisturbed so hasn't been fluffed up over the years. Black or dark soil is alive and moving.

You should only normally build flexible stuff on top of topsoil, e.g. paving slabs, decking, fences. If you put something rigid on top of something that's moving then it will probably crack.

A dwarf wall is a reasonable gamble, if you're talking about probably trebling its height or weight or more then adding a heavier roof too then that's a risk.

Builders usually rip out and start again when replacing a conservatory with a room. I doubt they do this just for fun, more likely it's from bitter experience and knowledge.

Have you considered just replacing the conservatory roof with a lightweight solid roof? I had my glass roof replaced recently but left all the side windows in place.

Sponsored Links
If you get planning permission for something then, if it needs BR approval, this usually follows automatically.

Once you've got PP you can't really pretend that your notifiable job isn't happening.

If you get planning permission for something then, if it needs BR approval, this usually follows automatically.

Once you've got PP you can't really pretend that your notifiable job isn't happening.
They're managed separately and there's no automatic link.

For example, changing windows doesn't usually need planning but it does need building regulations. Conversely, a new outbuilding might need planning but doesn't need building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back