Conservatory roof and guttering questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I recently purchased a house which has a conservatory. With the heavy rain and blustery winds I have managed to discover a few some-what “minor” issues.

Why the conservatory to my surprise does warm up pretty well and keeps the heat in for an acceptable time I noticed a draft from the roof edges which I found to be there are gaps around the grooves of the roof beam where it meets the top edge of the conservatory walls. A picture is attached below which you cant see any gaps but there is infact 3 gaps on each beam which I can see directly outside and thus letting a lot of heat out and cold draft in.

Is it safe for me to use some clear silicone to seal these up or are they there to stop condensation by means of ventilation?

The conservatory guttering has a downpipe at the front corner (looking from the garden) and box guttering around the perimeter of the roof which forms a rectangular ring with the down pipe in the front corner. The rain water does not all flow into the down pipe and instead sits in the gutter around the back section (around 2cm deep). Is this by design or should all water run off and drain via the down pipe?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes it fine to seal up the gaps.
No problem with 20mm of water sitting in the gutter, Just check it once a year to clean out any large bits of gunk that collect like leaves etc.

whssign.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back