Conservatory Roof Glass Pane Slipped (again) help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just another conservatory, just another slipped glass panel...

I have included photos, one of what is behind an end cap, and another of the slipped panel.

I am looking advice on the best way to repair. It slipped and was fixed before - just a screw going through the 2 end caps (you can see in the pic the end cap hanging on by the screw) and a bit of silicon at the top. Obviously not a good fix as it's out again.

Can any folk please advise best way to fix? It's a long double-glazed panel, but a corner piece so (hopefully) a little lighter than normal. About 6 feet long.

I looked at the truly DIY repair kits (http://supplies.trulypvc.com/products/119-end-cap-replacement-kit-roof-glazing-retainer.aspx) but I can't see how I could screw in the glazing retainer with the glass still on the roof.

Anyone any thoughts would be great?

Sponsored Links
Was the glass fitted when the conseratory was new or later on, our roof suppliers supply us with glass supporting blocks which cover the end of the glass and screw in sideways to the roofbar, never had a slipped one yet. You should also have a sticky back foam on the plastic glass support under the glass. Which roof company brand is it! Looking at it it is a very old system looks like it has been made from bar length

Eeeeeek! A roof made with window transom profile, not even reinforced either, shouldn't be allowed.

Anyway the anti slip brackets in your link although very good will not suit the type of roof you have, they're more a proper roof system which is pvc clad aluminium.

What you need to do is devise a bracket that you can fit on without lifting the front edge of glass up, maybe those little white connecting blocks you see in kitchen cabinets or holding worktops down to base units

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I found this one when searching for a solution to a similar problem.
On my roof (similar to the photos shown by the OP) the U-channels along the edge of the glass have been damaged over the years, but particularly in the recent bad weather. The link given to the supplier was useful, but they only seem to supply their "Polycarbonate End Closure" in (no surprise) sizes suitable for polycarbonate and not my 20mm glass.
I have tried "Googling" but found nothing (I suspect mainly because I don't know the correct terminology). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
http://www.cabp.co.uk/acatalog/polycarbonate_sheet_accessories.html
i think

Thanks for the link, but again they only seem to supply 6, 10, 16, 25, 35, 40mm end closures (polycarbonate sizes I assume) and not the 20mm I need for double glazed roof panels.
Thanks - but I'm still looking

A useful supplier though..

Just wondering if CABurton100 ever managed to find some 20mm polycarbonate end closures.

I need some too...

Adam.

I have had the same problem - four panels slipped - as it was still under guarantee ( 3 days within 10 year guarantee !) supplier repaired free of charge - however panels slipped again 4 months later :cry: . I have rectified the problem by fitting 2 90 degree 85mm heavy duty support brackets obtained from B & Q ( £1.98 each!) at the bottom of each panel. The difficulty I had initially was trying to slide the panels back into position, however I realised that by removing the glazing bars (on the outside of the glass at each side) I could lift the glass and slide it up into position. Using two pieces of 3x2 timber about 1 foot long, I supported the lower end of the glass up about 6 inches which allowed me to measure and mark where I needed to drill to secure the bracket on the support bar beneath the glazing bar and then I drilled a 6mm hole and secured two brackets (back to back with the support bar between them) with a M6 bolt and nut. I then repeated the same for the other side of the glass unit and then lowered the glass into position. To replace the glazing bars without having to climb on the roof, I used a 6 foot wooden pole (old ring curtain pole ) to "whack" the glazing bars back into position. For the corner glazing units I used the same 90 degree 85mm brackets , but bent them to 45 degrees using my workbench vice.

With modern roofs you do tend to get the anti slip blocks at the end of the bars but on old roofs what I always did (and still do to prevent side to side movement) is 2 or 3 blobs of expanding foam between the glass and roof bar on both sides before putting on the top caps.

I can honestly say since I started doing this 10 years ago I have never had a slipped unit.

Just a quick warning. If you use my method use a proper foam gun not a cheap can and you will need a fairly steady hand.
Do not get expanding foam on the surface of self cleaning glass as it may damage the coating.

Just wondering if CABurton100 ever managed to find some 20mm polycarbonate end closures.

I need some too...

Adam.

I know its a bit late but you could always use the next size up. You may have to shape it slightly to fit between the roof bars. Then just stick it on really well with some silicone (they should be sealed along the top edge anyway to prevent water touching the end of the glass).

Make sure surfaces are clean preferably with solvent cleaner and they should stick like S*** to a blanket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back