Conservatroy glass roof reseal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lean to conservatory with a glass roof consisting of 7 double glazed glass panels fitted at no more than 20 degrees of horizontal.
The panel in the middle has stated to leak water at the wall end. This only happens in heavy long rain showers and when there is a wind. From outside I can see a small gap in the rubber seal which needs attention - a few minute job.

A local company quoted me a couple of hundred pounds to fix it (saying the cost was due to a need for scaffolding etc under health and safety).

I then saw a contractor working on installing a glass lean to canopy next door merrily walking up their glass panel to bash down the lead flashing, and he said that the glass taking weight is not the problem, it is normally the problem of slipping due to the angle of the glass that would stop him walking on a conservatory roof.

So now I am thinking, would it be safe to crawl up my roof and fix the leak rather than pay a large sum to a contractor.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the pitch of your roof to be honest. Above about 10 degrees and you run a real risk of falling off and hurting yourself. As the guy said the roof will take the weight, the roof bars will be designed for ' snow loads' ( usually 2 ton) but without proper support you are really running an issue of slipping... If you can use boards and say a box scaffold and set it up so it can't move then possibly... We use a proper conservatory roof ladder than sits on the floor and rafters

Depends on the pitch of your roof to be honest. Above about 10 degrees and you run a real risk of falling off and hurting yourself. As the guy said the roof will take the weight, the roof bars will be designed for ' snow loads' ( usually 2 ton) but without proper support you are really running an issue of slipping... If you can use boards and say a box scaffold and set it up so it can't move then possibly... We use a proper conservatory roof ladder than sits on the floor and rafters

Thanks,
The pitch of the roof is approx 6 degrees (according to my level) and the glass panels are 2.1 m long x .7m wide
I had come up with the idea of using 'crawlboard' 1.8m x .5m made from 5mm hardboard. I hope this will spread the 'point' load of feet/knees and with the rough side of the hardboard face up this will minimise foot slip, and if the smooth side which is facing down is covered with a slip resistant material (the rubber mesh sheet) which would minimise slip potential on the glass.

For the amount of time I'll be on the roof, and with the minimal amount of movement necessary, hopefully this will work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back