Conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lean to conservatory with a steep angled roof (pitch ca. 40 degrees). The glass panels are in 2 sections each about 2 metres long, so each section has 4 metres of double glazing, which is pretty heavy, and some of the glass has slipped. The original installer went bust and it's well out of guarantee.

A new company wants to fix this by fitting new glass at a cost of £12,000. The glass is fine as far as I can tell. It just needs jacking back into place and new clips fitting. I hesitate to tackle this because of the weight, but how would a professional do it. Is it a DIY proposition?
IMG_3996 (800x600).jpg

Sponsored Links
I guess it depends on your ability but if it is just refix then it's worth a go.

Given the alternative is 12k I would hire scaffolding and spend on various tools that would allow the work to be done safely -although I have no idea what might be needed.
You can hire glass handling equipment for example. However heavy glass also has risks.

You could also hire a labourer to help?

I guess it depends on your ability but if it is just refix then it's worth a go.

Given the alternative is 12k I would hire scaffolding and spend on various tools that would allow the work to be done safely -although I have no idea what might be needed.
You can hire glass handling equipment for example. However heavy glass also has risks.

You could also hire a labourer to help?
Many thanks. Having spent Sunday morning looking it over, it's obvious that the original installers made a pretty terrible job of it. I think they must have known they were about to be fired. But at least I've got a good understanding of how it's meant have been put together. Only two of the panels have moved, and it's mainly the lightweight glazing bar cappings that have dropped.

I've worked out how to prevent the panels sliding right off whilst I'm working, but jacking them up is tricky. It'll come to me sometime soon.

For anybody interested it dawned on me at 3 o'clock in the morning that maybe I can attach a ratchet strap between the house wall and the bottom of the glass and pull the glass up. It only needs to go an inch.

Sponsored Links
I was going to suggest a ratchet strap.
Try to take precautions against a point load on the edge of the glass? maybe a bit of pipe insulation on the edge, with some 2x1 so the load is spread.
Glass hates point loads.

Possibly something that involves two ratchet straps (they tend to come in pairs) or a Y shaped attachment to half the stress?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back